chapter fourteen

After eating, and trying to get information about Luffy's grandfather out of him, Usopp, Blade, Nami and Zoro sat near the bar. Luffy had been made to wash dishes for refusing to pay the bill, at least not now.

"That glass have gold in the bottom or what?" Zoro asked Nami.

"Hm?" Nami asked.

"You haven't stopped staring at it."

"You seriously don't think what Luffy did is messed up?"

"Get off his back, Nami," Blade said, "In case you didn't notice, we've been making enemies wherever we go. Pirate enemies. A vice-admiral is nothing. Not to mention, I don't think that's the biggest secret being hidden by one of us."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"What do you think it means?"

"I don't know, maybe it's a reference to the fact that your entire identity is a secret. We don't know your name, your age, what you look like."

"She's nineteen," Zoro said.

"Great, awesome, because that really gives us some insight into who this total stranger is."

"You'd be dead if it wasn't for this total stranger," Blade said, "You think you could've fought off Buggy's freaks alone? You think Sham and Buchi would've gone down without my help?"

"We'd be just fine without you."

"If that's how you feel."

Blade stood up from her seat and walked away to the bar. She wasn't leaving, she just needed a minute, or a few.

After about half an hour, she walked back over to her table, sitting next to Nami.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, "I don't even know what I was getting at with that whole 'secrets' thing, I just wanted to get under your skin."

"It's fine," Nami said, "Don't let what I said get to you, either. You're a great asset to the..."

"You can say crew."

"Crew."

Blade had her head down when Usopp walked over with someone behind him.

"Guys, meet my new best friend," he said. Blade didn't bother to look up. "What'd you say your name was again?"

"Which one of you is Monkey D Luffy?" The friend asked.

"Who wants to know?" Nami asked.

Zoro looked up. "You're Dracule Mihawk."

Blade's head shot up. "Mihawk?" She asked. Mihawk looked at her, slightly shocked as she stood up and wrapped her arms around him. "I thought I'd never see you again!" The crew was shocked at the sudden display of emotion.

"Hello, Mimi," Mihawk said, patting her back.

"So that's where the name came from," Zoro whispered to himself.

"I suggest you get out of here, Blade," Mihawk said as he let go of her.

"What?" Blade asked, "Why?"

"I have business with your captain."

"No..."

Mihawk's expression slightly faltered as he heard the worry in Blade's voice, but he soon stood again with a now false confidence.

"If you know what's good for you, you'll hand him over."

"We don't know anyone named Luffy," Nami said, "Right, Zoro? Zoro?"

Zoro stood up. "I've been following your career since I was a child. It's an honour to finally meet you, sir."

"Thank you," Mihawk said.

"Which is why it pains me to inform you that tomorrow, you're going to die. I, Roronoa Zoro, challenge you to a duel to the death."

"I've never heard of you." Mihawk lied. He had heard of Zoro, but not from the seas, from Blade, from Miura.

"They call me the Demon Pirate Hunter."

"Funny, considering you're fraternising with the most wanted pirate on the East Blue."

Zoro ignored him. "But my lifelong dream is to beat you in single combat and become the greatest swordsman in the world."

"You're serious."

"Accept my challenge. You'll see how serious I am."

"Very well."

"Mihawk, no-" Blade tries to stop Mihawk from stepping towards Zoro.

"Tomorrow at dawn. And when I'm done with you, pirate hunter, I'll take your captain."

Mihawk walked away, and Blade ran after him. She followed him into a secluded area, where nobody could see them.

"Mihawk, you can't do this," she said, pulling her mask up.

"There's that pretty face," he said, "Why not?"

"You'll kill him! Don't you remember who he is?"

"I remember well. Your best friend, as you called him. If you really care for him, why does he still not know who you are?"

"He'd hate me if he knew who I was, if he found out that Miura had became Blade."

"And how do you know that?"

"Because he's a pirate hunter!"

"Hm. Get out of here."

"Why?"

"They want your crew. Dead or alive."

"So?"

"I love you, Mimi, like a father loves a daughter, I don't want to be the one who has to turn you in and see you be tortured, and I also don't want to leave you hear and let someone else do the job of capturing you, taking your life."

"Whatever, Mihawk. We've beat the Marines once, we'll do it again."

"I think you forget I'm on their side," Mihawk yelled slightly as Blade walked away, putting her mask back on.

"And I think you forget I'm Blade. I rule this sea, and I'm not gonna let you or any Marine take away my opportunity to get to the Grand Line and find my parents."

"They're dead, Mimi!"

"I'll prove you wrong."