𝟎𝟎𝟖; capture the flag

IT WAS THURSDAY afternoon when cabin eleven gathered around for a sword-fighting lesson

IT WAS THURSDAY afternoon when cabin eleven gathered around for a sword-fighting lesson. For Percy, it would be his first. Naturally, their instructor was Luke, the best swordsman at camp. Sword-fighting wasn't Loralai's most well-performed activity, but she still enjoyed the technicalities behind it.

A majority of the campers started off with the basics like stabbing and slashing using some straw-stuffed dummies in Greek armor. The kids that had been there for longer fought the same dummies, but instead perfected the techniques they already knew, adding some wrestling in as well.

Loralai carefully looked up the straw dummy up and down, her ruby-adorned sword in hand. Technically, she wasn't supposed to use her actual sword on the dummies. However, she wasn't going to actually hit it, her control too managed for her to make the mannequin bleed straw, as much as she wanted to. She learnt to hate the things. Its buttoned eyes mocked her every move. Squinting, she murmured, "It's on."

Twisting, stabbing, weaving and slashing, Loralai managed to strip the mannequin of its armor pieces one by one. When the last one clattered on the ground, she walked over to a pillar and watched the campers doing the basics.

Luke went through the movements in slow motion with a kid that was struggling. When he saw her looking, he gave her a cheesy thumbs-up. Loralai leaned on the pillar, giving him a warm smile back. Luke was like the brother she never had.

Eventually, the campers moved into pairs. Loralai paired up with Chris Rodriguez, who was determined to fight her. She knew why: Chris was growing protective of Clarisse La Rue. It was payback from what she said at dinner a few days ago.

Loralai grabbed a practice sword. Sure, she could be cruel sometimes, but not cruel enough to back-stab up a fellow camper. She swirled it around in her hands, getting in position. Chris did the same, squinting his eyes fiercely like he did at the dinner.

The two swords clashed together. Loralai pushed his sword down, attempting to disarm him, but he was two strong, pushing Loralai's sword upwards. She folded, pulling her sword back. They stayed there for a moment, waiting for the other to make a move. Quickly, Loralai weaved her sword down towards his hip.

Chris managed to block it just in time before she did the same on the opposite side, repeating the pattern again and again. It was so fast that he could do nothing but defend as she pressured him backwards.

Dramatically, she changed her pattern, flinching so it looked like she was going to his hip and then going for his shoulder. The hit took Chris by surprise, letting his guard down. Gladly taking the opportunity, Loralai swiped his sword away, it clanged on the crowd.

Beads of sweat trailed down both of their foreheads. Chris blinked and looked down at his sword. Loralai offered out her hand to shake. "Are we good?" She asked. Chris looked up to her and smiled, shaking her hand firmly. "Yeah, we're good, man."