𝟎𝟏𝟕; a medieval waterbed

IT WAS ANNABETH'S idea

IT WAS ANNABETH'S idea. She loaded them into the back of a Vegas taxi (after they had assisted Ricardo to get his own to Houston) and told the driver, "Los Angeles, please."

Percy looked worried, probably because he wasn't there to see the infinity sign when Ricardo swiped his LotusCash card.

The cabbie chewed his cigar and sized them up. "That's three hundred miles. For that, you gotta pay up front."

"Do you accept casino debit cards?" Annabeth asked. He shrugged. "Some of 'em. Same as credit cards. I gotta swipe 'em through, first."

Annabeth handed him her green LotusCash card and the cabbie examined it skeptically. "Swipe it," Loralai invited. He did. His meter machine started rattling, the lights flashing. Finally, an infinity symbol came up next to the dollar sign.

The cigar fell out of the driver's mouth. He looked back at them, his eyes wide. "Where in Los Angeles... uh, Your Highnesses?"

"Santa Monica Pier," Loralai told him, crossing her arms proudly. Annabeth sat up a little straight. The boys could tell they liked the 'Your Highnesses' thing. "Get us there fast, and you can keep the change," Annabeth offered.

Maybe she shouldn't have told him that. The cab's speedometer never dipped below ninety-five the whole way through the Mojave Desert.

There was plenty of time to talk on the road. Percy told the others about his latest dream: the monster in the pit, the servant calling the monster 'my lord'. He said the Lotus must've short-circuited his memory, because he was sure he recognized the voice and that the servant had called him another special name or title.

"The Special One?" Annabeth suggested. "The Rich One? Both of those are nicknames for Hades."

"Maybe..." Percy said, although none of them sounded quite right.

Loralai couldn't stop thinking about Hades and the woman. The Big Three pact... they must've met before World War II, assuming they had a child. World War II was in 1939. Her mind shot to Ricardo, who was in the Lotus Casino on business, he had come to the casino a year before World War II.

My husband is searching the country for investors, he is taking quite a while...

But what was a while? A few months? There were too many holes in the story for Ricardo to be L's husband, too many questions to ask and too little time to focus on it.

Loralai sighed. She doubted that when she went to the Underworld, Hades would tell her. He seemed pretty angry at his nephew, Hephaestus in the dream, why would he tell a daughter of Hephaestus anything?

Plus, they had bigger things to worry about. Percy's dream had arisen a new possible theory out of Annabeth: It might not have been Hades in the pit. Which meant that Hades might've not stolen the bolt.