𝟎𝟎𝟗; quests and dreams

PERCY WAS MOVED  to cabin three the next morning

PERCY WAS MOVED to cabin three the next morning. Loralai watched him go miserably. Just as he started to settle in, his schedule was disrupted again. She couldn't ignore how everyone at camp was avoiding him, how alone he looked.

It wasn't similar to the avoidance that happened at Yancy. Sure, that was sad. But being denied because of your parent's mistakes was even harder. Loralai knew the feeling, but flowed along with the river anyway. It wasn't like she had really talked to him before, anyway. She was sure he didn't notice.

With the stress of a Big Three child coming to camp, the nervousness everyone had that monsters would stop at nothing to kill him, Loralai thought that when she'd go to sleep, she'd at least get a break.

Wrong.

The recurring dream returned, more frightening and detailed than ever. She could physically smell her mother's dusty perfume, feel her nails as they scraped across her cheek gently.

Loralai decided to call the feeling, or force that she felt during sword practice Breath.

Breath had been in the dreams as well, laughing at Loralai as she desperately begged Breath to tell her what her mother was saying. Melissa's words sounded so urgent, so sorrowful, Loralai had to know.

Was it an apology? Was it about her true father?

The only improvement Loralai had made was snatching control of the scream she used to let out. The fiery sensation, however, could not be controlled.

Exercise was the only thing that took her mind off of it. Loralai would train until the conch blew for dinner, her muscles were starting to get more defined. Annabeth expressed her worries openly.

Look, Loralai truly wanted to tell her best friend about the dreams, but there was this lingering feeling that if she did, Breath would stop giving her small hints. And by hints, she meant giving her one-word translations of her mother's groans.

The list was short and spread out: Quest, will, and a. OK, so it wasn't a lot of progress, but at least she knew it was about a quest, which gave her a sting of motivation.

-

A STORM BREWED over camp, the dark clouds loomed over everyone. No one mentioned it, yet everyone looked tense. Loralai waited patiently in the other room as Mr. D talked to Percy.

Chiron had called her over, she didn't know what for. She was praying it was a quest. Then again, she always prayed that. Grover peeked inside from the porch. "Chiron's ready for you," he informed. Loralai gulped, following the satyr outside where Percy was standing.

Percy's expression grew sour. "What are you doing here?" He asked bluntly. His eyes flickered around, trying to focus on everyone but her. Percy still found her eyes hard to look at, the lava-like color bright and freaky.