𝟎𝟏𝟎; fire in a rainstorm

LORALAI DIDN'T HAVE  much stuff to pack

LORALAI DIDN'T HAVE  much stuff to pack. She had gone over what her packing list would be even before she was given a quest. She shoved her clothes, lip-gloss (hello, at the end of the quest she'd be going to Olympus!) and other survival equipment in a sage green Levi bag.

Her sword was where it got tricky. Loralai had to have it on her, but she couldn't exactly go walking around with a huge sword. She consulted Chiron, who said that if she put a leather cover on it, the Mist would do the rest and turn it into a water-bottle or something. She had it placed in a belt Caliz had designed, with a slot attached to it for the sword to be secure.

"It's time to go!" Annabeth called out from the Hermes cabin door. Loralai tied off her heavily moussed Dutch braids, walking towards the door with her backpack hanging off her shoulder. She was wearing a simple cropped red top with her favorite long dark-blue shorts. Despite the rainy weather, it was humid and hot outside.

Annabeth tossed her a smile. "You ready?" Loralai nodded, trying to encapsulate the giddiness bubbling in her stomach, which was slowly escaping due to her cheesy grin.

This was their first quest, a moment they'd been dreaming of since they were little. This would be it.

"Let's do this."

-

THE CAMP STORE  lent Percy one hundred dollars in mortal money and twenty golden drachmas. Chiron said the coins might come in handy for non mortal transactions. He gave the demigods each a flask full of nectar and an airtight bag full of ambrosia squares, to be used only in emergencies.

Annabeth was bringing her magic Yankees cap, a twelfth birthday present from her mom, and had a Greek architecture book handy when she got bored. Her weapon was a long bronze knife, hidden in her shirt sleeve.

Grover wore his fake feet and his trousers to appear human, he didn't look too happy about it. His bright orange backpack was full of scrap metal and apples to snack on. In his pocket was a set of reed pipes that his dad had carved for him.

Percy had no magical item. He only packed the essentials. Loralai had her sage green Levi bag mentioned earlier, which was covered in around 23 tourist pins from various places.

When Percy asked her about it, she told him that she had gotten one every time she helped a satyr bring a camper to half-blood camp. She pointed to the New York pin, near the top of the bag just by her neck. He had to admit, he was impressed.

The group gathered together, waving goodbye to the other campers. They all took a final glimpse at the sea, the big house and strawberry fields. Loralai smelled the salt water, strawberries and faint smell of s'mores from the night before. She would miss this while she was gone.

Then, they all hiked up Half-Blood Hill to the tall pine tree that used to be Thalia, daughter of Zeus. Loralai half-smiled at the tree. The whole concept of Thalia turning into a tree was so foreign to her, despite the fact that it'd been there for years. It didn't feel real.