𝟎𝟏𝟖; doggy daycare

THEY STOOD IN the shadows of Valencia Boulevard, looking up at the gold letters etched in black marble: DOA RECORDING STUDIOS

Underneath, stenciled on the glass doors in ancient Greek: NO SOLICITORS. NO LOITERING. NO LIVING.

It was almost midnight, but the lobby was brightly lit and full of people. Behind the security desk sat a tough-looking guard with sunglasses and an earpiece.

Loralai looked nervously at the lobby. There's no way they would get seen before all those other people. Percy turned around and said, "Okay. You remember the plan."

"The plan," Grover gulped. "Yeah. I love the plan." Annabeth muttered, "What if the plan doesn't work?" Loralai looked at Percy, who had his mouth open like he was thinking on how to reply. "Don't think negatively," he eventually decided.

"Right," Loralai whispered. "The Underworld, and we shouldn't think negatively." The dead spirits inside the building had strong emotions, emotions that seemed to spill into her. Suddenly she felt hopeless, sad, and lifeless.

Percy took the pearls out of his pocket, the four milky spheres Nereid had given him in Santa Monica. They didn't seem like much of a backup in case something went wrong.

Loralai stepped forward, slowly and awkwardly placing a hand on the boy's shoulder. "It'll be OK, Percy. We'll make it, and we'll find your mom." Annabeth chimed in, "I'm sorry about that, Percy. She's right." Then the blonde nudged Grover.

"Oh, right!" He joined in. "We got this far. We'll find the master bolt and save your mom. No problem."

Percy looked at the trio, and felt really grateful. Only a few minutes before, he'd almost got them stretched to death on deluxe waterbeds, and now they were trying to be brave for his sake, trying to make him feel better.

He looked at Loralai, her glow and the dark eyes already shimmering his way, and smiled. They'd come a long way from hating each other. He wouldn't say they were friends exactly... more like they tolerated each other, and supported each other when they had to. Which, for this quest, was practically every step of the way.

Loralai smiled, and Percy managed to give one back. Percy slipped the pearls back in his pocket, suddenly feeling very confident. "Let's whoop some Underworld butt."

They walked inside the DOA lobby.

Muzak played softly on hidden speakers. The carpet and walls were steel gray. Pencil cactuses grew in the corner like skeleton hands. The furniture was black leather, and every seat was taken. There were people sitting on couches, people standing up, people starting out the windows and waiting for the elevator. Nobody moved, or talked, or did much of anything.

Out of the corner of Loralai's eye, she could see them all just fine, but if she focused on any one of them in particular, they started booking... transparent.