Chapter 19

forevryoung1210 is litterally the best go check out her profile!! This chapter is dedicated to her because she's been awesome voting for my story and stuff!

I was at work at 5:30 again waiting on tables half asleep. But today was different, I was hiring a new employee to take Josie's shift. As much as I didn't want to I thought it could make her jealous and come back to the diner. She still hasn't found another job I heard from my mama and this is gunna make her go insane.

We put up the Now Hiring sign on the door and we now waiting for that hopeful.

No one seemed to notice the sign or were completely content with their lives as is. Now that I think about it... none of my customers seemed to be lookin' for work.

I slumped behind the counter and watched the people eat and enjoy their meals. Some looked lonely, others looked like they have lived life and are now just there to observe. I wonder what I look like when I sit down to eat so place. Do I look like a young girl trying to balance out her life? Or what I want myself to look like... A young confident country girl who knows which path she wants to choose? I don't know, but I hope deeply that I don't look indifferent.

"Hey cupcake!" Dominick walked in and he looked like he had just been riding horses.

"You here to apply for the job?" I chuckled.

"Na, I don't want to spend that much time with you." He teased and kissed my cheek.

"We'll clean up tables for and six anyway." I demand handing him a rag. It was payback for that stupid comment.

I'm heard the bell on the door jingle as another person walked in. I glanced but had to whip my head back around and stare.

It was Josie.

"Hey! What are you doing here." I run up to her. She seemed unenthused with me and glanced behind me at my mama.

"Do you have my paperwork? The rancher said he can't hire me without all of it." Josie stated.

My mama's face grew dim and she walked into her office for a few moments then returned with a manila colored file.

"Thanks, see ya around?" She said looking at her reassuringly.

"Josie," I said before she walked out the door.

She stopped but he back was still facing me, she was reading the sign. "Now hiring huh? That's great. So glad to see you've move on so quickly.... you always do." She sucked back her tears behind her eyes as she looked at me then tried to make a composed exit out of the door. I heard the bells chime as the screen door slammed.

"Yea if you find anybody let me know!"
I yelled at the door with anger knowing she was long gone and couldn't hear me.

"Sam, honey." My mama eyed from across the way.

"I get it mama, not appropriate." I waved off and got out my notebook to take more orders.

"Hey Sam, I gotta run. Hang out later today? I'll miss you." Dominick said pecking my lips with a mouthful of bacon and grabbed his Jean jacket and walked out the door.

"Hey Big Ben, nice to see you today." I said whipping up his coffee and eggs.

"The pleasure is always mine, seems like your always here. My churn seven times removed come here at the wee hours and they say you're already full throttle. Young thing like you should hit the hay every once in a while you think?"

"I do, it's just- hey do you know anyone looking for a job?" I said leaning over the counter blurting out my immediate intentions.

"Well I'd say I did but that little lady looks quite intrigued with that new sign you put up." He gave a hearty chuckle.

"Wow, didn't even see her. I'll go talk to her, you're fine with your meal?" I asked before leaving him.

"Yes indeedy, fine job." He tipped his musty green baseball cap and I walked over to the brunette with blue ends.

"May I help you?" I asked with a smile.

"Uh yea, I'm looking fa a summa jab. I'm livin with my pa fa now an he's makin me pay rent! You hiring? I don't got no experience with the kitchen but in baston(Boston) I was a waitress fa 7 yeas." She had a heavy accent but a sweet tone. She seemed very humble and nice even if I couldn't understand most of what she said. (sorry for any Boston residents I know not all of you have accents like this. This is very stereotypical but this is just what Sam is perceiving, I have family in Boston and trust me they are very smart literate people.)

"Yes, you want the job?" I said looking at her quizzically.

"Sure, ya thinkin I'd do good?" She said with an unsure look.

"Yea, we need a waitress the hours are crazy but if your up for it." I smiled but in the back of my mind Josie was eating away at my brain.

"Thanks! I don't mind at all! My pa lent me his ca so I can come in wheneva." She said and popped a stick of gum in her mouth.

"Alright! Here is my number and I will give you all of the information soon! You will start Tomorrow." I said and bit my tongue, it felt like I should've been saying all this to Josie because so many years ago I did.