Chapter 21

The new girl, Anna was okay she did all of the tasks and orders. But, we just didn't have the chemistry me and Josie had that made work easy and enjoyable. Anna and I mostly got in each others way.

This has been going on way to long. I had to talk to Josie, I am desperate. I can't lose her, she is a part of me.

"Anna cover for me." I said grabbing my keys.

I drove over to Josie's apartment hoping she'd be there.

It wasn't a long drive, but it was nerve wracking. My stomach was in knots my sweat palms had trouble gripping the steering wheel. As I got out of the c at me knees felt week. I have just never been in this situation with Josie before. I bit my lip when I saw her truck in the driveway.

"Hey it's me." I said knocking on their door.

"Oh, I was just stopping home because I forgot my keys. What did you want?" Josie said pulling her bag over her shoulder.

"Uh, can you wait a sec? I really-really need to talk to you." I said and rubbed my hands together.

"The diners struggling, I am struggling." I spoke looking down.

"I see all the magazines Sam. You're way too busy juggling boy toys for a best friend. Plus you're job, if I even came back you'd give me all of you energy for about a day or two. We grew up, it's ok." She said.

"What do you mean 'you see the magazines' you know that those are all lies!" I said angrily.

"So Lucas didn't come to Mississippi? For you? So I'm supposed to believe that The Prince of Cambridge just rolled into Mississippi, Langston to be exact and he didn't stop to talk to his ex-girlfriend? And that Dominick didn't flip out, like what you want me to think but opposite of what the magazine said? I know how to read them, I pick out the lies." She stated.

"I am sorry." I sighed.

"Jos, you never usually hold a grudge! You love working at the diner, you loved being my sister." I spoke.

She paused and sat down on the couch and took off her bag and jacket. I followed her to the couch.

"Sam, I forgive you. I guess it's going to take some time?" She smiled.

"As long as we're trying." I smiled back and hugged her.

"Sounds good, now scoot your boot. I gotta get to work." She said scurrying out of the door.

"K." I said and looked at her couch, it was red leather and overstuffed.

I always wondered what her house would have looked like when she had dreams to travel the world and work as an international fashion designer. She was going to marry Justin Timberlake and throw the best parties, that was what we fantasized as kids.

It's weird to think that this is her dream now, working at a ranch with a small apartment in Langston with Steve.

I don't think I even have any dreams, work at the diner for the rest of my life and be happy. I never had this fantasized future. It makes sense because it could never happen anyway.

"Hey Sam, what are you doing here?" Steve said in the doorway.

"Nothing, actually I was just leaving. Nice apartment you have here." I said and walked past him.

"It's what we have always wanted." He smiled and closed the door behind me.

---

"Can you cook some dinner Sam? My hands are very soar from kneading earlier." My mama said and rested her head against the back of the kitchen chair.