Part 1

CHAPTER 1-THE KING IS DEAD!

Many historians often have somewhat of a romantic obsession with the reign of King Rhaegar Targaryen. They are not wrong because King Rhaegar Targaryen faced many trials and tribulations during his reign. He would be the King who would cement the Targaryen dynasty's rule over Westeros for the next several centuries.

Yet I believe that one can not ignore the rule of his father, King Aerys II, in history. I, along with many other like-minded individuals, think that the recently uncovered texts and artifacts confirm the long-speculated theory that the true beginning of the Targaryen dynasty begins with the rule of King Aerys.

RHAEGAR TARGARYEN-290AC

Rhaegar Targaryen sat in his solar in the castle of Aeryndell. An apt name for a castle that looked over the vast town of Duskendale. After his father's command to build it into a seat befitting of a Prince, the castle was still undergoing renovations.

And as the Prince to whom this castle would soon belong was not in the continent, it was up to him to look over the construction and make sure it was up to the royal standards.

He stopped reading the report on the sheer cost that the crown was bearing for all this and looked at the open window. The day had not been the sunniest of days, and with a cooling breeze, he was feeling a bit of the chill. Instead of calling the servant he got up from his seat and made his way to the window, leaning into it as he felt another tremendous burst of wind strike his face. He looked out the window and saw the expansive city below.

A plethora of houses were being demolished, with more being built. A hoard of laborers worked in the cloudy weather to transform the city to his father's standards. And wasn't that a surprise? Many would have expected that Kingslanding would represent his father's vision.

Yet the sheer size and population of King's landing had forced him to compromise and choose efficiency over his own ideas for the capital of their rule. But fate had given him another chance to implement his ideals.

"Not that he needed to do this," he muttered as he closed the window. And wasn't that the truth? For it would take another long night for people to forget his father's rule: Aerys Targaryen, The Reformer. Many chose to call him the second coming of the conciliator himself. The man had come into power in his twenties. The Targaryen family was the weakest they had been since perhaps the end of the Dance itself.

Attacked by the Blackyres across the narrow sea, struck by tragedy at home. His father had not faltered. He had risen above all such challenges and rebuilt the Targaryen dynasty back to its greatest strength in recent memory. Everyone sang praises of King Aerys, the reformer. Yet few knew or understood that this had all come at a cost.

KNOCK.KNOCK.

He was broken out of his thoughts by the knock on the door.

"Come in," he said as he walked back to his chair. The door opened and revealed the form of one of his Kingsguard.

He was clad in white armor with an ornamental white cloak on his back. A sword, unlike any other in the whole realm, strapped to his belt. Arthur Dayne, The Sword of the Morning. Wielder of Dawn. The finest knight in all of Westeros entered the room with a smile.

"My prince, the reports have arrived from the town." He said with a bow. Rhaegar smiled at his friend.

"Come in, and take a seat, Arthur. I was just about to take a break," and the Kingsguard nodded as he took the seat in front of him.

"Thank you, my prince," and Rhaegar shook his head.

"How many times have I asked you to stop with all this formality when it is just us," that had been discussed a minimum of six times, just in the last couple of moons.