Part 7

Chapter 7

Rhaella Targaryen was married to Aerys Targaryen when she was young. Rumors that were supported by some excavated texts tell us that she wasn't keen on the match with her brother, whom she called boisterous, cruel, and uncaring. Aerys Targaryen himself was rumored to be infatuated with Joanna Lannister in his youth.

Yet the marriage became the biggest lynchpin for the Targaryen dynasty and became the turning point in History for them. While not based on love, the two came to a mutual understanding and came to care for each other. King Aerys Targaryen would invite The Queen to the council meetings and value her advice when given.

They would be blessed with four children. However, much to their grief, the last child would die a year after his birth. Their relationship would provide their children with a solid foundation and is mentioned in quite exemplary words in the writings and letters discovered.

RHAELLA TARGARYEN

Night had descended now as her conversation with her daughter went on as she told Daenys of things she had not mentioned to anyone else. Even now, with the darkness taking over the sky, the city was bustling with the sounds of the Army assembling and people moving and shouting. She had seen a similar bustle twice before this. Once, she had been crowned the Queen after Summer Hall, and then when her husband had decided to bring the Stepstones to heel.

She watched, swept her hand through the silvery locks of her daughter as Daenys slumbered in her lap, her tiredness getting the better of her and making her doze off. She smiled, seeing her like this, seeing her all grown up. Daenys was everything she wasn't. She was fearless, assertive, and smarter than her. Aerys had always been proud of her, and her heart quivered as she thought of her better half. No one knew how hard his death had hit her, how losing him had shaken her completely. Yet she had known that she needed to be strong for her children.

She looked up at the ceiling, wiped away the tears welling up in her eyes, and whispered lightly.

"Why did you have to leave me so early? Why?" she questioned though she knew it was futile. He was gone, hopefully to a better place.

Truthfully Rhaella Targaryen had never been fond of marrying Aerys. He had always seemed so pretentious and cruel. And she was aware of his infatuation with her friend Joanna, yet their parents had not given them a choice for the match. She had feared his reaction to this, yet it was as if the marriage had transformed him. And then Summer Hall had happened, and they were left all alone.

She could feel the vultures circling, the court murmuring, yet Aerys had stood tall in the face of that tragedy and had led their family out of the crises almost single-handedly. He had known that she did not love him, yet he had only ever demanded one thing of her.

'I know this match was made without our input, dear Rhaella. But the times are tough, and I would hope that we could come to an accord to make this easier for both of us.'

A young Rhaella Targaryen nodded along, their child Rhaegar sleeping in her arms as both of them lay in their chambers.

At that time, the war had been called. She had been nervous about what he would ask of her. Yet his words would surprise her.

'Trust and loyalty. That is all I ask of you. We cannot make any mistake at such a time. We must not give anyone anything to exploit. So, we must band together if not in love, then in respect, for if we don't, our family will lose everything. Everything!'

She had nodded along at that time. And he had been proved right with the war getting called mere months later. Over the years, she also saw the plots and games in the court to try and turn them against each other, yet she remembered her promise to him. And slowly, Aerys would overcome them all.