Part 13

Chapter 13

Renly Baratheon's betrayal was a true shock to the rest of the realm. The man had chosen to betray his own blood and kin, fuelled by his boundless ambition the man had chosen to side with the enemies and had sought grandeur for himself. The man had sought to capture Lady Cersei Lannister and the young Baratheon children as hostages and send them to Essos to the Golden Company, hence blunting two of the Great Houses and forcing House Targaryen on the backfoot. Yet the plan would fail to succeed, and all for one reason.

Cersei Lannister was not an ordinary woman. Even at her young age, the jewel of the West had always held a strange fascination with the ways of knights and lords. Though hesitant at first yet, after Lady Joanna Lannister's intervention Lord Tywin indulged her daughter and let her learn the ways of the Lords and knights alongside her twin. Some say that the King had personally intervened in the matter and had been instrumental in forming the sisterly bond between Cersei Lannister and Princess Daenys Targaryen. It was one of the reasons why it had been a shock when the Jewel of the West had married Robert Baratheon instead of the Prince.

Yet the match would prove to be successful, and both Robert and Cersei would go on to live happily, and some letters exchanged between Robert Baratheon and King Aerys reveal that the King would secretly gift the bride a specially forged sword as a present to her wedding. Credence to these rumors is driven by the fact that Lady Joane Baratheon writes a similar tale in one of her diaries, which was recently discovered.

0000

CERSEI LANNISTER

Cersei's heart raced as the guards around her formed a line and took out their swords. Duncan himself stood at the center as he shouted at Renly.

"Do you have any idea what you are doing, Lord Renly? You are committing treason against the Royal family and are siding with outsiders. There is still time! End this madness!" screamed Duncan at her good brother, yet the younger Baratheon seemed unaffected by those words.

"My so-called brother was so blinded by his made-up family that he forgot about his real one! Don't speak to me like that, Duncan, I am to be the next Lord of Storm's end, so I would suggest you lay down your arms, and I will be willing to accept you all into my service," offered Renly and she stiffened for a moment as she placed herself in front of her children trying to shield them.

Her heart thumped in her chest as she looked at the men surrounding her and her children. A speckle of doubt lingered in her heart, yet it vanished when she saw Duncan unsheathe his blade, followed by all those around her.

"Then I believe you leave me no choice," screamed Duncan as the men around her got into their stance. My lady, you should flee. We will try and hold them back for as long as we can. House Connington will have received our letter by now and will have men on the way.

And Cersei saw more men join the other side, as their numbers almost doubled, yet all those who knew of the ferocity of House Baratheon's men would say that the odds were evenly matched despite the difference in the size of the two forces.

She nodded and jumped on the saddle as Amanda handed her her daughter. Steffon sat on the other horse with two other guards saddled up.

"It seems we will have to do it the hard way," said Renly with a shake of his head before he raised his sword.

"MEN! CHARGE!" and with a shout, his men rushed forward. Duncan also led his men as they came together and arranged themselves into an arrowhead.

"SHIELDS UP! Make a path for Lady Baratheon! Let's show them how real men fight!" screamed Duncan as the enemy charged at them, and Cersei held onto the rings tightly with her free hand as Joane was tied in a sling around her shoulder.