Part 4

Chapter 4-Long Live the King!

The death of King Aerys Targaryen in 290 AC has been a source of quite some historical debates. Many attribute it to natural causes; others believe it to be caused by his pursuit of arcane arts. But the exact cause of it was revealed by the recently released documents of the Iron Bank of Bravos by the Royal Family.

These documents, dated back to 290 AC, clearly mention the transfer of vast amounts of wealth to the famed House of Black and White. The mysterious guild of assassins that worshipped Death itself. Also, confirming the presence of such a group to the general public.

Interestingly, the amount mentioned is presumed to equal that House Targaryen paid to procure the three Dragon eggs.

A Conspiracy!

RHAEGAR TARGARYEN-290AC

Rhaegar rushed on his horse through the Rosby Road, constructed by the Conciliator himself. They had passed by the seat of House Rosby a couple of hours ago, only stopping to get on fresher horses so that they could make haste toward the capital.

A small retinue of guards and his two loyal Kingsguards rode hard with him. And now, with the night beginning to cloud their surroundings with darkness, they could see the edge of the city.

The walls of the Outer City were now visible. Tall and thick stone walls were manned by archers with scorpions on the five major towers. His eyes narrowed as he spotted the increased number of guards over on the walls. The doors that led into the city were closed as well.

They rode hard and made their way to the gates. Stopping upon hearing the sound of the Huge horn from the top of the Wall.

The gates opened, and he was surprised to see an armed army squadron come out to greet him. The Captain got down from his horse and bowed to him.

"Why are the Gates closed?" Rhaegar questioned the man.

"The orders came from the council, my prince. All the gates to the city were to be closed. To be opened only after further instructions."

Rhaegar nodded at that. Still trying to reason out the cause for such a measure. The captain then turned and shouted.

"OPEN THE GATES!" and Rhaegar saw the gates open slightly. He nodded to the captain, pulling the reins of his horse, and rushed through the city that his father had built. The city was quiet, lacking the usual hustle and bustle associated with it. The houses were much smaller and made out of wood mostly, unlike those in the inner city.

Though much like the inner city, the streets were clean, the main road paved. The people moved out of his way, spotting the Targaryen banner from afar. Many of them blessing him as he went past them.

Bless the Prince. Live Long Prince. May the Targaryen prosper.

Yet all this was not on Rhaegar's mind as they spotted the inner city walls. These walls were much taller and with a much larger number of men. Though the gates would open without any stoppage this time, and he would rush into the inner city. The Red Keep, visible on the edge of the city. He noticed the army once more, fully armored and patrolling the city.

He reached the castle and was greeted on the gates by two of his father's council members.

Stannis Baratheon, his cousin by blood. The second son of Lord Steffon Baratheon, one of his father's most loyal friends. He had been serving as the Commander of the City Watch for quite some time.

And the other was a much older man. He was responsible for the command of the army in the absence of the King or the Prince. He was also wearing full armor, with a distinctive sword strapped to his belt. The sigil, a striding huntsman in red on a green field, is proudly displayed on the chest. Lord Of Horn Hill, the King's general. Ser Randyll Tarly. A strict but competent man nonetheless.