Part 24

Chapter 24

Robert Baratheon was an excellent military commander and had learned the craft of war at the heel of King Aerys himself, along with the King's three children. However, the man would face quite a challenge when he would face Daemon Blackfyre, on the island of Grey Gallows at the climax of the Last Blackfyre rebellion.

Many have debated over the boisterous Lord's strategy and its merits and demerits, and it is agreed that the strategy made by the Lord of Storm's End was quite sound. Yet the strategy employed by his opponent was simply better.

The Golden Company would begin dismounting from their central ships and would take heavy damage by a bombardment of arrows and boulders from the Royal army at Robert Baratheon's back. And as the Baratheon lord would assemble his heavy cavalry and order them to mount a charge to decimate the enemy forces, Daemon Blackfyre would strike.

Using the last stashes of Wildfyre available to him, the man would bombard the cavalry with the highly volatile material, decimating them in a storm of raging green flames. The man would then have the ships docked at the flanks begin their dismounting, and the Golden Companies cavalry would dismount and begin a charge of their own, while Daemon Blackfyre himself led the soldiers from the front, attacking the Royal army from three fronts.

0000

DAEMON BALCKYFYRE-Varys

He watched as the projectiles landed, and lit up immediately and a massive firestorm rippled through the heavy cavalry headed for his men.

A lone shout from the Baratheon lord did little for his men as the wildfire rampaged through their rank and file, burning them, as they all shrieked and cried for help.

"Have the cavalry begin their dismount! We are going to decimate them in one fell swoop," he ordered his second in command, who picked up the horn from his side and blew it twice, giving the signal to the ships at the side to begin their dismounting.

He then turned away and began to walk out of the ship, as he put on his helmet. The men were already lined up and parted to make way for him as he walked to the front, strapped in full armor. The ground shook with the trodding of horses from their sides as the cavalry assembled on their flanks.

He stopped and turned to face the men of the Golden Company, his eyes glanced up, and he found her sister standing there on the deck of the ship looking at them. Their eyes met, and she gave him a nod.

"IT IS TIME FOR US TO TAKE WHAT WAS RIGHTFULLY OURS! FOR YEARS WE HAVE LIVED IN EXILE AS THESE PRETENDERS RULED OUR LANDS!" he shouted and saw the men begin to nod at his words. The Golden Company had its roots laid in Westeros, and many of them still yearend for their homes and their lands.

"BUT NO MORE! TODAY WE SHALL TAKE WHAT'S OURS!" he said as he turned to face the raging fire which was dying down mounted his horse, and took out his sword from the scabbard, and spoke their House Words.

"MEN! LET US SHOW THEM OUR MIGHT! OUR ENEMIES ARE MANY...." And the men behind him finished the words.

"....OUR EQUALS NONE!!!!" and with that roar, he pulled on the reins of his horse, as the cavalry by their side, rode hard as well, moving in an arc-like fashion as they aimed for the flanks of the Targaryen army.

The fire made his horse nervous, yet he held onto the reins and closed his eyes as he rode through the fire, crushing many whimpering men behind him. And as he emerged from the flames, he found the Targaryen army standing there, with their shields up and ready and he was impressed by the discipline in their ranks that even seeing such a disturbing sight hadn't broken their spirits.