Part 31

Chapter 31

The battle between King Rhaegar and Daemon Blackfyre would mark the end of the Blackfyre rebellion. The battle of Grey Gallows would be the last major battle of the rebellion and would mark the end of the year-long campaign that had begun with the death of King Aerys Targaryen.

Many historians believe that the Blackfyre rebellion was a result of King Aerys's actions when he sent assassins after Daemon and Saera Blackfyre, the last two Blackfyres that had taken refuge across the Narrow Sea. And while many historians accept such a position, the truth is that even today, we have no evidence that King Aerys even sent those assassins.

On the other hand, we do know about the greedy and ambitious nature of the Cheesemongrer, Magister Illyrio Mopatis.

A minority of historians believed that it was he who sent assassins after the two Blackfyre progeny, hoping to gain influence over them and later use them to fuel his ambitions. Who really sent those assains is a mystery that shall remain unanswered for years to come, and people shall continue to debate over it.

The end of the war, however, was rather tragic. King Rhaegar, injured from his Dragon's fall, faced Daemon Targaryen in single combat and bested the man, ending the war. The Royal Army would triumph over the rebellion forces who would lose their morale after seeing their commander fall and would collapse instantly.

And so, with the battle concluded, the King would make a round of the enemy encampments and, in the largest tent, find the dead body of a woman, cradling a small child in her arms.

0000

RHAEGAR TARGARYEN

Dust covered half the battlefield obscuring his view, as he fell to the ground. Rhaegal's feral roar sent a shiver through him as his vision blackened momentarily, and his tail whipped right above him as he continued to roar in agony. The sound of a horn continued to rippled through the air, making Rhaegal feral before suddenly the sound stopped.

"Roarrr!" Rhaegal roared as the sound lessened, and opened its maw and let out a firestorm, before it opened its wings and began flapping them, making the dust rise up as it took to the skies.

"Rhaegal! Umbagon!" yet his dragon paid his words no heed, as Rhaegar struggled to his feet, as sound of men screaming filled the air.

"Naejot nyke!" yet no effect as Rhaegar saw its feet lift off the ground as it began to fly away, leaving him, there.

"Rhaegar Targaryen!" he heard his name getting called out, and turned towards the source and found a man staring at him. Clad in Black armor with the sigil of his House forged into it, his helmet was off and showed Rhaegar his face, the face of the man who was behind this whole rebellion.

"Blackfyre! You and I both know that you have lost. Surrender, and I shall give you an easy death!" Rhaegar said through gritted teeth as pain seared through his leg, and the man nodded.

"No, I would rather die than bow to someone like you," said the man as he took out his sword, a blade of Valyrian Steel, and Rhaegar did the same as he began to slowly approach him. His pace increasing with each step.

Rhaegar took out his own sword and ground his feet into the sand as he got ready to face the instigator of this rebellion.

"AGHHH!" Blackfyre charged at him, his sword coming down for his head. Rhaegar grit his teeth and parried the strike. Metal struck against metal, and the dance of death began. Our movements were a blur, with each of us aiming to end this whole war with one strike of our blades.