Part 28

Chapter 28

The whole religious uprising was being led by two men. The False Preacher and the High Sparrow. To dismantle this whole uprising, both of these individuals needed to be taken out quickly and concurrently. For the death of one could make the other go into hiding or inflame the whole situation, making the handling of this delicate issue even more difficult.

Their continuous string of victories over the Crown were troubling for the Royal family, who had been pushed to the backfoot while dealing with these two individuals. And just as doubt began to linger in the minds of the lords and ladies of the realm about the ability of the Crown to deal with these rogue elements, the Royal family struck its most lethal blow to these two individuals, ending their whole charade within the span of a single day.

It is believed that the plan was hatched by Princess Daenys, who wrote to her eldest brother, King Rhaegar, to gain his permission, something which he granted quickly. A letter was then dispatched to Prince Aemon, who would then rush back to the capitol alone after giving strict instructions to Stannis Baratheon, his second in command.

And then days later, Kingslanding would watch in awe and horror as the very ground of the city shook as two mighty beasts roared and flew out of the massive Dragon Pit, signaling to the whole of the world about the return of the beasts that allowed the Aegon Targaryen to forge the seven kingdoms into one realm.

The House of the Dragon had somehow revived its symbol of power. The Dragons were back.

0000

STANNIS BARATHEON

Stannis Baratheon stood in his tent and watched as the army stood ready behind him. The Prince had left in a hurry after receiving a letter from Kingslanding. Stannis wasn't aware of the content of the letters, but whatever they were, the Prince had ordered him to get the army ready for an attack, and he had done exactly so.

And so, as per the Prince's instructions, the men stood ready, armed, with swords and lances, with the siege engines and trebuchet geared up as they waited for the signal from the Prince. Just as he was lost in thought, he heard a commotion from the outside of the tent and frowned as he heard his guards shouting and arguing with someone else.

"I need to talk to your second in command," came a feminine voice he immediately recognized.

"My lady, Lord Stannis was very clear that he didn't want to be disturbed. I will inform him of your visit, but you should return to your tent," came the voice of his guards, and he began to walk out as the Lady of the Riverrun refused to listen to the guard outside.

He walked out of the tent and saw the Lady arguing with guards as her maid stood by her side, holding her arm, keeping her steady. Her injuries were still new, and the healers had advised her not to get out of bed for some time.

"What is going on here?" he spoke sternly and saw everyone turn to face him.

"My lord,..." the guard was about to begin when suddenly the pale lady of Riverrun cut in a hurried tone.

"Where is the Prince? Why is the army preparing for an attack? I need to talk to the Prince!" the lady of Riverrun spoke up in a hurried tone, her panic visible as she frantically moved towards him. The guards tried to stop her, but he stopped them with a raised hand and turned to face the concerned lady.

"Come and sit inside. We can talk there," he said and motioned for her to enter the tent. Her injuries were still severe, and the Prince wouldn't like it if they were exacerbated in any way.