Part 9

Chapter 9

The betrayal of House Greyjoy would be the first test for King Rhaegar Targaryen. He would assemble a third of the Army and more than half of the navy for this campaign. Many consider these numbers to be too much, given the small population of the Iron Islands. However, the might of the iron islands can not be underestimated. Their strength lay in the fact that in order for someone to face them on the sea, their preferred battleground.

As the new King planned his first offensive, his brother Prince Aemon rushed back to the capital from the Stormlands. Tired, injured, and after having suffered heavy losses from the attack of Euron Greyjoy, many would speculate that his voyage to Pentos was a failure.

They couldn't be more wrong. This voyage would go on to change the fate of the royal family and the world.

On the other side of the continent, cold winds were brewing up, winds the likes of which hadn't been seen for thousands of years. The news of the King's death would also reach the North and the lands beyond it. And it is here in the lands outside the domain of his kingdom where his death would cause the greatest disturbance.

The Quiet Wolf will receive the news in the Halls of Castle Black itself on his way back to Winterfell from the lands beyond the Wall. He would then mount his horse and make haste to meet his Lord and brother Brandon Stark.

0000

RHAEGAR TARGARYEN

In the Castle of Lannisport, the army stood assembled and ready for an attack. There was a certain tension in the air. A certain tension as the people grew anxious over the whole war. Rhaegar himself was also quite anxious, for this was his greatest trial. While he did learn many things under his father's tutelage, learning and doing were different.

He looked out from the balcony as the men marched into formations. One could see a whole armada of ships that had been assembled for the attack on the Iron Islands in the distance as well. However, despite it all, he felt uneasy. Everything up until now seemed rather well-planned and coordinated. Their enemies had spent years planning this, and Rhaegar was sure they would also have predicted this.

So, the question was, what were they planning now? Was he overestimating them? Had he missed something? These thoughts plagued his mind when there was a knock on his door.

"Come in," he ordered, and his best friend and companion, Arthur, stepped into the room. He seemed more relaxed and had a missive in his hand.

"I have good news. Aemon has made it to Kings Landing safe and sound," and Rhaegar sighed in relief as a huge burden was removed from his chest. With Aemon safe and back in the capital, he could now focus on the battle at hand.

"That is good. That is very good. Now he can see to the defense of the capital. We can focus on the battle now. Has there been any news about Lady Genna?" he questioned, and Arthur nodded his head; however, his facial expressions made it quite evident that this wasn't good news.

"We are doing everything we can to locate her, yet there hasn't been much progress in that regard. However, Qyburn confirmed that she is not on Pyke," and Rhaegar nodded as he walked back to his desk, picked up the rolled-up map from the side, and unfurled it on the table.

"Well, that is a start," Rhaegar said as he crossed the island of Pyke on the map. Arthur joined him as he looked over the map. The master of whisperers was doing everything he could to locate Lady Genna, so they could rescue her before mounting a full-on attack. While Lord Tywin had not insisted on stopping an attack, Rhaegar knew he couldn't attack and put her life in danger like this.