Part 33

Chapter 33

"Men can be controlled by Gold. Cities can be controlled by Men. Continents by Dragons. And the world...by a Bank."
~King Aerys Targaryen III

The above quote is often said to have been stolen by King Aerys III by his own great grandsire bearing the same name. The truth behind this, though, cannot be denied.

The parley of Braavos would see many changes brought to the world, as the Targaryen's would keep the city of Lys, the city famously called the Tear of Valyria, a place that had been once famous for nothing but pleasures of the flesh.

These days, the city is still owned by the Royal Family and is said to be the actual capital of the world.

The parley would also see to the establishment of the Royal Targaryen Bank. This institution has faced extreme criticism in modern days for its iron grip over most of the world's finances. The Bank is said to be the oldest financial institution of this day, and in these times when the Royal family has given up their right to keep an armed force under its name, is the weapon of choice in case of conflict.

The Royal family denies any involvement with the running of the bank and says that the institution's only purpose is to facilitate global trade and commerce. Yet many believe that it holds an inappropriate amount of control over the finances of the world.

As compensation for their actions, the Royal Family would negotiate with the magisters that as an assurance of their compliance with the terms of the agreement, they would deposit their wealth in the newly established Bank.

The Iron Bank would move to act as an intermediary in this case, proposing that they would provide this service. Yet the Royal family would decline this offer, believing the Back to be an accomplice in the assassination of King Aerys II. The Bank would protest against this, saying that they held no control over the actions of the faceless men.

And that is where King Rhaegar would level the threat that would one day be brought true by his own successors in the distant future.

"Then I believe it is high time Braavos and your Bank gained some control over the actions of this House of Black and White. For if I or my sons, or their sons, shall ever find any trace of their meddling in the affairs of my Kingdoms House, Targaryen shall declare war on the House of White and Black. Half a million men shall land on your shores, and our dragons shall take to your skies, and we shall bring death to you and your lands until the House of Black and White has been reduced to nothing but dust."

He would have the men write down these words, worlds that would be brought to reality by King Aerys III when the faceless men would assassinate Princess Daenerys Targaryen, his bride-to-be. Yet that is a tale for another time.

On the other side of the Narrow Sea, the dowager Queen, Rhaella Targaryen, would sit with Tywin Lannister. The Golden Lion was amongst the last of King Aerys's companions alive at the time.

And as the City prepared for the wedding of their favored princess, the Golden Lion sat with the Blessed Queen as they discussed terms of their own for the match between Daenys Targaryen and Jamie Lannister.

0000

DAENYS TARGARYEN

Daenys Targaryen smirked internally as she saw the representative of the Iron Bank lead them to the location of the parley. Rhaegar had chosen to have the parley at a clearing instead of a castle, and when asked for his reasoning for choosing to hold the meeting under the open sky, he had written.