Part 10

Chapter 10

The Kraken's folly was the name given to the Greyjoy rebellion, for it was just that a folly. The Targaryen dynasty was at the height of its power with the Royal Army and the trading fleet fielding over forty thousand men. The agricultural and system reforms had caused the population to boom so much so that Kings Landing was said to have doubled its population in his reign, this was also one of the biggest reasons for the expansion done by King Aerys.

Moreover, the King had been generous with House Greyjoy, investing capital into the islands to have them form ports so they could earn their way to wealth through trade rather than plunder and piracy.

Yet House Greyjoy rebelled. It joined a greater conspiracy against the crown, and it would see reckoning for its folly.

0000

TYWIN LANNISTER

The council chamber in the garrison of Lannisport was filled with men. The tension in the room was sharp as everyone waited for the arrival of the King. He sat to the head of the right could, with Jamie seated to his left.

Opposite him sat the crown's general, loosely called the Fist of the King, Lord Randall Tarly. The man had been Aerys's choice, and just like most of his departed friend's choices had been a very well-made appointment. His lips thinned as he saw, Vaemon Velaryon seated to the man's die, his presence a reminder of his dispute with Aerys over the rebellion of House Reyne.

Yet that was in the past, the King had been able to establish some communication with Pyke and had offered terms, yet the details hadn't been shared with anyone yet. Tywin had been assured that all such terms would ensure the safety of his sister Genna. No one knew what the status of these negotiations was.

As he thought that, the door to the council chambers opened and Rhaegar's most loyal companion and sword came in. Arthur Dayne walked in, the famous sword Dawn strapped to his side, followed by Lord Barristan Selmy, one of the realm's most gifted swordsmen in the entire realm.

Rhaeagr followed soon, dressed in full armor, yet unlike regular steel armor, it did not shine. The metal was all black, such that it was the color of soot. Dragons were fashioned into its design but non at the cost of protection or movement.

Rhaegar walked to the head of the table as they all stood up, and the tightness in his posture made it evident that there would be no more talk. Rhaegar took his position at the head of the table and motioned for them to sit, as he stood there and cut an imposing figure.

His armor and demeanor reminded Tywin of a much younger Aerys, who had stood tall similarly when the Blackyre rebellion had occurred. Yet times were different. Rhaegar had a whole army at his back, while Aerys had only a bunch of untrained levies.

RHaeagr looked around the Hall before he finally began.

"My father ruled over these lands for more than thirty years. Over the thirty years these lands flourished, trade boomed, innovation happened, and prosperity graced all of Westeros. He wished to share that prosperity with House Greyjoy as well. He gave them an opportunity to trade, he invested capital into their lands to help them grow. He was magnanimous with them, does anyone here question that?" he asked and the Lords shook their heads.

"Nay," they chorused at the King's question. And this all showed that his earlier guess had been right. Rhaegar leaned forward.

"As most of you know, House Greyjoy stood accused of crimes of treason. They have joined forces with our enemies across the Sea and have rebelled against House Targaryen. They attacked Kingslanding and Lannisport killing hundreds and causing losses of thousands of gold dragons. Yet despite all that, I offered them a chance to repent," said Rhaegar as he took out a letter from his pocket. The room bristled at that.