19

CHAPTER 19

"Thank you for taking care of me, Sato," said a meek voice of a woman to Gojo who had a blue-black bruise on his cheek. Her eyes were glued on the said man, scrutinizing his good physique and appearance.

Satoru on the other hand felt quite off because that was the first time he heard his first name from someone he was not close with, let alone be given with a nickname on their first meeting.

For sure he would do it too to others, giving someone a nickname on their first meeting; but that would take a lot of special reasons why he would do that. And saving them would not be one of those.

"Ah, no... it's fine." He smiled, waving the awkward feeling he got. He sat there on the chair he left when he got out to get Toge. Even all this time, he didn't even get close to Yuki the entire time. And even though the nurse was gone and they were alone in the room, he never dared to step close to her.

The girl with dark brown eyes the same shade of her hair tilted her head to the side, peeping on his face. "What happened to your cheek?"

"I...uh, fell on something, don't worry about me," he said. "By the way, I have called someone to take you home. He's waiting us at the parking lot, but no rush, you can take your time—"

"Will you be there to escort me?" Yuki cut off his sentence with a worried look in her eyes.

Satoru didn't want to go with her, he just wanted to be left alone so he could see Y/n but he was sure Yaga would yell at him if he left this woman alone and defenseless. A part of him didn't care whether this woman would be left alone since the abductor had already been sent to jail but a part of him was saying he doesn't want another person to suffer because of his negligence. So, with a heavy sigh he said, "If that's what you want."

"Thank you for not rushing me." Yuki smiled with the sweetest smile she could muster.

"Anytime."

"So, I heard you were a lieutenant from the TPD?" She asked, starting a light conversation. "That must be tiring."

"Yeah, most of the time. But I find it quite intriguing and exciting at the same time." Satoru lied through the skin of his teeth. Nothing about being police and having dead bodies found almost everywhere with undetermined killers and reason was intriguing and exciting. It was filled with pressure and anxiety, draining and exhausting.

But of course, he didn't want to say that to someone like Yuki. If that was Y/n he would have rant out everything about being police was a pain in the ass because he knew she might be cold hearted outside but she was really understanding.

She even offered to check the papers of the students when she noticed that he wasn't getting enough sleep.

"I can see, you're really happy helping people around." Yuki glanced at him. "It's good you can balance your job life and still give time to your girlfriend. I'm sure she's really proud of you." Her tone was something Gojo was familiar with.

That question was a trick, he knew it. She was trying to catch if he indeed had a girlfriend. He had never mentioned a girl in their entire conversation yet she deduced that he was dating. "Nice try," he thought.

"Yeah, she's really understanding. She sometimes goes to my apartment and we do a little lovey-dovey moments and she helps me, though not particularly with my work but rather a massage, cooking food for me, something like that..." Satoru babbled about how Y/n helped him sometimes—though a part of it was a lie he wanted to come true—and the longer he talked about it the more he could see Yuki's eyebrows furrowing.