38

CHAPTER 38

Y/n looked at Satoru who had a worried and agitated expression plastered on his face. He was chewing his lower lip as he read and reread the email.

"Call Junior Officer Toge," Satoru said in a hurry. "Tell him to check and verify who would steal those files. Nanami told me so there was a chance that it happened in my section." He groaned; his heart was pounding in his chest as he tried not to suspect anyone in his team. He didn't want to point finger at any people he was holding. Beads of sweat began to surge from the side of his face despite the aircon in the room was blasting.

"Is... Is it that bad?" she asked, trying not to sound suspicious.

"Yes!" Satoru suddenly replied, barely even letting Y/n finish her words. "Stealing is a crime, Y/n. And what he stole is top secret, confidential files of all the staff in TPD. If that was in Satsujin's hands then he could play our identities in his hands."

Satoru saw the bewildered look on Y/n's face. "He can frame each and everyone of us for something we didn't even do. That's just the very first conclusion that my brain thought of course, there's a lot more to do with those files." He added.

"B-But, what if whoever took that just wanted to help you?" Y/n tried to at least give a piece of her mind despite feeling scared. "What if he was just checking the voice of Satsujin so he could finally seize him?"

"Y/n, that is a very ridiculous idea." Satoru mumbled. "Whoever took that was dumb enough to think that they were going to capture a killer by its voice. Satsujin could use that voice to manipulate the next evidence we might get. If it all goes down to it, an innocent man would be framed. The voice from the videotape was untampered and we examined it, it gave us a single suspect."

Y/n's mouth was ajar.

"Y/n, we can't trust anyone from TPD as long as Satsujin is on the loose."

For a moment the thought of Geto being the killer crossed her mind because they–Satoru and his colleagues– were really sure the person who stole those files was Satsujin. But... she heard Geto's explanation... he needed her help. He was asking for help to catch Satsujin, he was just doing it so Satsujin could never lay their hands on Satoru. A real Satsujin would never do that, right? A killer would never save.

"Y/n, what did Geto send to you?" Satoru asked, eyes narrowing at her as he referred to the message he saw from Y/n's phone when they were having an intense discussion in the living area about her being too close to Geto. He stepped towards her which made her step back, her bum hitting the table behind her. "What did he send you?"

"I thought we got over it—" Y/n saw how his brows knitted together. "N-Nothi—" she cut her own words since she knew Satoru would not believe if she told him nothing. "H-He was asking for help—"

"What help?" His eyes peered at her dangerously, she could feel her knees buckle under those ferocious stares.

"H-He..." what should I tell him? "He was asking for help on how to date Akame..."

"What?" Disbelief was written all over his face.

"Yeah, he sent me multiple pictures of bouquets to see what kind of bouquet Akame would like." Her eyes were on the floor. "I'm sorry, Satoru but I don't believe that Geto is the killer. If this is what it takes to help you then so be it. I hope you forgive me after all of this."

Satoru let out a long sigh which was not because of relief, but because of utter dissatisfaction, "Y/n, I've told you and I will tell you again, we can't trust anyone from TPD as of now."