34

CHAPTER 34

"Apprentice?" Y/n tilted her head to the side. "What's that?"

"Basically a PA but it was only limited to work alone." He replied, there was a strange rigidness in his tone. "But you have to know that this is a confidential matter, nothing goes out of these four walls."

Y/n nodded firmly, taking everything seriously as she listened to him.

"You will work for me for 8 hours a day, I don't care what time you wake up as long as you complete the shift. Now, there are chances that I will call you in the middle of the night to process things and I expect your full cooperation."

Y/n eagerly bobbed her head twice.

"In terms of compensation, you'll have an average wage of a junior police officer 50k per month."

Y/n nodded, it was not a good start because she would be needing more than that but still, it was best than to have nothing. "Got it. So, basically secretarial?"

"We'll start today."

Y/n followed Satoru in his office which was the spare storage room of the condo that was converted to make a decent room. She saw his PC already setup on a table. Beside that table there was a wall-mounted shelf filled with folders of files and a cork-board with pinned papers and maps.

And opposite of those multiple monitored computers of his, was another table with not much of the things above. She assumed that it was her table.

"Yep, all secretarial." He said. "You don't have to work with me in this office as long as you do your part, checking my emails and arranging a series of evidence that I will gather. Do what I ask you to do and so on..."

"Noted, officer~" she giggled internally. For a moment, she felt excited working like one of those spies she saw in the movies.

She started her work with enthusiasm but soon her fervent aura turned lackadaisical when she realized that it was not as thrilling as she thought. She was waiting for non-existent emails from Satoru's alliance and no evidence to compile. She felt like she was just there to occupy a lonely place. She let out a sigh and turned to Satoru who had his eyes focused on multiple screens with files and pictures of something she had no idea what it was about. His head was busy darting from left to right, even up and down, typing and jotting down at the same time.

"What a busy day..." she mumbled out loud out of sarcasm.

"Did you say something?" Satoru asked, turning to her.

"Nothing," she said with a smile, trying to hide her boredness. Geto's task—checking every voice record— was more exhilarating than this. "Do you want something?"

"No, is there any email for me?"

"Nope, none at all..." she replied, shaking her head. She could feel that utter coldness from him and she was quite bothered. She decided to get a cup of chocolate for the both of them. When she went upstairs again, she found Satoru still working. She put a mug of hot chocolate to Satoru's desk earning a coherent "thank you" from him.

So... boring...

Hours passed and Satoru was still working, not even sparing her a glance, her laptop was open but there was nothing to do with it except from the occasional checking of new emails, other than that, she was as good as a statue.

She was there, sitting pretty on her chair while watching every screen on Satoru's PC. Each screen was flashing different files all at once, there was a map which to Y/n's perceptive was a live satellite map showing multiple locations. There was an open file of Satsujin's last victim—Mai Zenin— a schoolmate of hers. There was also a screen that showed a file that seemed to be one of the suspects files, though there was not a picture, she could read some statements about their observation of that man.