Chapter 12

Adrien sat between Lila and Alya. He picked at the food in front of him, he had no appetite. He struggled to control the emotions on his face. He felt a hand on his thigh, Lila's hand.

"Adriieen," Lila cooed, leaning into him, "do you think I look pretty in this photo?"

"Sure," he responded automatically before he had time to look at the photo, Lila frowned slightly. He felt her nails dig into his leg.

"I just wanted to know what photo you think looks better for the announcement," she continued as if she wasn't actively bruising him. She fluttered her lashes at him as she showed him the two photos.

"You look," like a horrible manipulator, "good in both," he choked out.

"Awww you are so sweet," Alya chipped in as she finished her pasta. She reached for the phone and leaned over Adrien to give her own thoughts about the photos.

Adrien tuned out the conversation and breathed a sigh of relief as Lila let go of him. She scrolled through the photos explaining where she took them, he didn't care to hear her latest lies about what charity event she volunteered at. He felt his phone buzz twice in rapid succession in his pocket. He leaned back pulling his tray out from between the two girls.

"I'm going to go to the washroom before class," he muttered. He felt Lila's glare but elected to ignore it, she couldn't follow him to the toilets without raising eyebrows. It would be against the brand and he could use that to his benefit for once. Adrien placed his tray in the stack of dirty trays and strode towards the bathroom in a quick walk.

Once in the safety of a stall he leaned against the stall door and pulled the phone from his pocket. The notification clearly displayed the text, above it read three pink hearts instead of a name.

'I want to hear your voice' The text was simple, short, but it made all the weight in his stomach lift. He hit the call button, hoping she wouldn't be too upset for not getting a warning. The ringing stopped almost immediately.

"Kitty?" Her voice was a whisper. He breathed a sigh of relief, she didn't sound mad, only hopeful and a little confused.

"Hi princess," he breathed.

"I didn't think you'd call immediately," she laughed, she was louder than before, he could also hear the muffled sound of cars and birds.

"How could I resist, your wish is my command," he felt a smile creep onto his face.

"Silly kitty, but I'm glad you did," her voice softened, "I -uh- had a bad morning and this, this helps a lot."

Adrien felt something wet run down his cheeks, he reached up in surprise touching his fingers to the tears. He didn't understand why listening to her would bring him to tears. It felt like she was everything good in the world and she had just turned her light to him. A light that made him so happy it hurt. It hurt to know that he loved her so much but he couldn't be with her when she needed him.

"Chaton?" She asked at his pause.

"S-sorry, I.." his voice faltered as he struggled to regain control of his emotions, "I wish I could hold you right now."

"Are you... crying?" Marinette gently asked, the uncertainty laced in her voice.

"I can't help but tear up at your beautiful voice," it wasn't a complete lie, "I needed to hear yours too. But tell me about your meow-ning."

"That was a terrible pun," she chuckled, "I just... I wasn't expecting my friend to be- ugh- in a relationship with Lila."

He could hear the disdain in her voice and cringed inwardly, he wanted to tell the world it was all a lie. He couldn't. Not when he was on thin ice with his father and Lila had blatantly threatened Marinette.