Chapter 29

Marinette transformed in a pink flash as she stepped lightly across her balcony. She pulled her skylight open and dropped onto her bed. She had managed to keep the trip brief but had gotten caught up by the chatty cashier. She glanced around her dark room, she didn't see any sign of Chat. She put down the small paper grocery bag on her desk and hung her purse on her desk chair.

"Chat?" She whispered into her room. The darkness responded only with silence. She bit her lip wondering if he was just sleeping.

"Plagg?" She called for the small kwami, he should be able to hear her even if he was sleeping. Her room continued to offer no response. She felt her eyebrows knit together in concern.

"The holder of the black cat miraculous is not here guardian," the smooth voice of the snake kwami, Sass, called from behind her.

"What do you mean, where is he?" She spun on her heel and saw all of the kwami's milling about her desk, many of them watching her and Sass. A stab of guilt struck her, she felt awful keeping them cooped up in the miracle box.

"Chat Noir left through your balcony some time ago guardian, Tiki and I agreed we could take the opportunity to leave the box," He hissed lightly. Marinette felt her heart squeeze in panic. He could be anywhere, what if he decided to run away again, or he had decided to confront his father or-

"Marinette, breath," Tiki's gentle voice cut through the haze around her. She sucked in a shaky breath and focused on the ground beneath her feet instead of where Chat could be. She pushed away the sickening thoughts of him curled up alone like an alley cat, hungry and cold.

"I'm- I'm okay Tiki," Marinette assured the small creature. They both knew how important it was for her to stay calm, she couldn't afford an akuma right now.

"Marinette! Dinner!" The muffled voice of her mother called in a sing-song voice from the kitchen below. Marinette looked at the scattered kwami's and closed her eyes taking in a long steadying breath.

"Tiki, if you see any sign of Chat make sure everyone gets back in the box," Marinette whispered and Tiki gave her an affirmative nod. She turned and opened the door down to the kitchen. The smell of a home cooked meal flooded her room and she felt her stomach rumble in response.

She made her way down to the kitchen and greeted her parents before sitting down for dinner. She ate slowly and listened to her parents lament over the slow business day while keeping an ear trained in the direction of her room. She doubted she would hear Chat return but she still couldn't help but try and listen for him. Her skin was buzzing with nerves. She needed to know he was safe. The very idea of him being anywhere but in the safety of her home put her on edge. The dull ache of her ever present headache was not helping the situation either.

"Honey?" Tom's voice interrupted her thoughts.

"Hmm?" She turned her attention to her father, she hadn't realized he was talking to her. He gave her the look of disappointment only a parent can give when they've caught their teen not paying attention.

"How are your classes going, did you miss too much yesterday?" He asked again.

"Oh I caught up no problem Papa," she affirmed. She felt a little guilty that she was only caught up because Chat Noir was apparently amazing at calculus, chemistry, writing, and history. He was just so bored that he had gotten a little carried away with doing her homework instead of just helping. She rationalized it with the fact that unlike any of her peers she was a superhero on top of her normal course load. It wasn't really cheating if she got a little help to get everything done.

Her response had seemed to satisfy her parents who returned to talking to each other instead of her. She relaxed into her chair and returned her focus to the other secrets in her life. She had no idea if Chat had left in a state of distress or if he just needed air.