Chapter 38

Hot tears streaked down Marinette's cheeks. The love of her life was sobbing at the feet of his Mothers body while his Father watched in what she could only assume was annoyed pity. She hated the man in front of her. Hawkmoth, Gabriel Agreste, was an abusive terrorist and she was never going to give up until he was locked away forever.

Movement caught her attention, the elevator door opened revealing Mayura who walked briskly down the metal platform.

"Sir, Ladybug isn't coming," she took in the scene before her, "sir?"

"She hasn't appeared?" Hawkmoth questioned, tearing his gaze away from his son.

"No," she confirmed. She stepped past Marinette up to the imposing man. He looked from his son to Marinette. A grin spread across his face.

"Ladybug has been searching for my son relentlessly, so let's give her what she's been looking for," Hawkmoth schemed. He held out a hand and a white butterfly fluttered to it. He looked at Adrien and with a smile held the butterfly, drawing dark purple energy to it. He released it from the cage he had made with his fingers, letting the butterfly escape.

Marinette's eyes went wide. The akuma beelined for Adrien. The image of white leather and pale eyes flashed before her.

"Tiki! Spots On!" She yelled. Before her transformation could even finish she was wrapping her fingers around the yo-yo on her hip. She launched herself towards the akuma. Mayura and Hawkmoth both stepped back in shock as their nemesis appeared in front of them. Ladybug snapped her yo-yo around the butterfly just as its wings threatened to touch Adrien.

"Ladybug?" Adrien snapped his puffy red eyes up to hers. She stood above him, her chest panting. She looked frantically between Hawkmoth and Mayura. She only had a moment before they regained their composure.

"You can't have him," she growled, positioning herself between Adrien and the villains.

"Give us your miraculous and no harm will come to either of you Marinette," Mayura said with a sad smile holding out her hand.

"You will never get it," Ladybug glared at the holder of the peacock, "and you," she rounded to Hawkmoth, "are never coming anywhere near him ever again." Ladybug spun her yo-yo into a shield keeping them at bay.

"Noroo, Plagg, Unify," Hawkmoth said, "Cataclysm!"

"Hawkmoth, wait," Mayura lowered her fan, "it doesn't need to be this way. Just explain-"

"Arghhh," Adrien leapt from his pace behind Ladybug, grabbing his fathers arm and shoving it up away from Ladybug.

"Adrien!" Mayura yelled. Ladybug threw her yo-yo to wrap it around Hawkmoth's wrist. She stepped to the opposite side of Adrien and pulled his arm out of Adrien's grasp.

"Run Adrien!" She yelled. Hawkmoth grabbed his cane and lunged towards her.

She held the yo-yo string taught and dodged backwards. She continued to leap backwards on the defensive. She saw her moment and pulled on his arm. He stumbled forwards hand outstretched. Ladybug watched as Hawkmoth caught himself on the casket with Emilie. He watched in horror as the glass crumbled beneath his fingers.

"NO," Hawkmoth bellowed. Ladybug lunged forwards and grabbed his hands. Hawkmoth opened his mouth to call his cataclysm but Ladybug was faster. She pulled the ring from his finger and slipped it onto her own.

"Tiki, Plagg, Unify!" She called. Green light blinded her. She felt a sharp sting from her earrings and yelped in pain. A resounding crack deafened her. Her head felt like it was splitting apart. The sheer force brought her to her knees. Her chest rose and fell with rapid short breaths that burned her lungs.