Chapter 37

Dark strands of hair fell over Adrien's vision. The edges of his mask obscured even more of his view. Pain blossomed under his ribs and spread up through his arms. He lifted his head and immediately regretted the decision. It felt like a tight cord was being pulled through his neck in place of his spine.

He glanced around at the unfamiliar surroundings. Short grass poked at his skin from beneath him and there was a metal railing in front of him. He reached forwards to the lowest rung. The cool metal was almost refreshing against the heaviness that weighed over his body. He looked behind himself to find an odd scene.

There was a long object elevated in the center of the circular platform he was on. Greenery surrounded the platform creating a juxtaposition between the cold metal and the vibrant nature that was held in the room. Amongst it all was the most striking sight. The tall man that had been at the center of it all and his ally. Between them was a white feather that was floating away.

Past the two villains, across the platform, was the stirring form of Marinette. She turned over with wide eyes taking in her surroundings just as he was. Her hands flew up to the sides of her head drawing the attention of Hawkmoth.

"Our guests are awake," Hawkmoth declared, looking from Marinette to Adrien. He held a staff with one hand and had a small object between the fingers of his other hand. Adrien fingers instinctively moved to the security of his ring but found nothing where it should be. He sat up and searched the floor around him, his blood running cold.

He looked up at the smirking face of Hawkmoth. The man slipped the grey ring onto his own finger, it shifted to a black colouration. A black shape flew from the ring and appeared hovering just in front of him. Plaggs' green eyes were wide and looking around frantically.

"Kid!" Plagg yelled before flying towards Adrien. Hawkmoth snapped his fingers and Plagg returned in a soft pop back at his side.

"Quite," Hawkmoth said coldly. Plaggs mouth forced shut. He gave Adrien a panicked look.

"How dare you!" Marinette's defiant voice called from across the platform. Hawkmoth looked in her direction with a raised eyebrow, "you have no right to treat him like that!"

Hawkmoth strode over to her, his heeled boots clicking against the metal edge of the platform. He knelt down and grabbed her chin with his ring adorned fingers.

"You could have been a great designer," he commented. Marinette's face remained unflinching in her utter disgust for the man.

"Get away from her," Adrien coughed as he used the railing to hoist himself up. He wrapped one arm around his aching middle section and used the other to steady himself.

"Ha, like you could hurt a fly, Kitty," Lila's voice appeared. He snapped his attention to the long walkway that ended at a glass cylinder. She held her hands together in mock adoration. She sauntered down the walkway until she was a foot away from Adrien. He snarled at her.

"I told you to draw out Ladybug," Hawkmoth snapped at her.

"Oh Hawky I'm doing just that, I'm running around Paris making all kinds of trouble," she spun her flute in one hand before placing it on her back. He gave her a disapproving look while she approached Adrien.

"Volpina, get back outside and do your job, or we'll take back the gift we've given you," Mayura stepped forwards with a threatening look.

"Oh just let me take off his mask, he looks like he could be cute under there," she cooed as she leaned too close to Adrien, "and he owes me for breaking my doll."

"Get away from me," Adrien growled as her fingers wrapped around the edge of his mask.

"Volpina! Out!" Hawkmoth demanded finally letting go of Marinette's chin and stood up like he was scolding a petulant child. The girl sulked and leant back against the rail.