Chapter 36

Adrien pounded on the door Marinette had been whisked behind by an all too familiar brunette. He desperately tried to open the bathroom. His mind whirling with all manner of horrible things Lila could be doing to Marinette, what she could be saying.

The sound of someone calling out in pain and struggling was muffled by the door. Adrenaline pulsed through his veins. He bit his tongue to keep from transforming in front of an entire crowd that no doubt had their eyes trained on him. He wretched at the door knob, jostling the door but unable to open it.

The door lurched into his chest and sent him flying backwards. He felt his feet leave the ground moments before his back met it. The air left his lungs from both the impact of the ground and the crushing weight of the door. He groaned in pain. Being thrown backwards was significantly more painful without his suit.

Screams erupted around him. He brought his, most likely bruised, arms up to push the door off of himself. It shifted to the side. He ungracefully shimmied out from the weight that pinned his left side to the ground. People all around him scrambled and stampeded to get away from the akuma that was slowly stepping into the lobby. The figure before him was an all too familiar purple dressed girl with a butterfly shaped mask and thigh high socks.

"You are all going to pay!" Marinette, or rather Lady Pain, yelled with a sadistic grin. She held her clawed fingers up to her face and giggled. Her gaze looked over the crowd that were streaming out the front doors. She strode towards them slowly, laughing maniacally. Her eyes slid past Adrien without even a moment of pause.

He got up to his knees, hissing at the pain in his ribs. Lady Pain walked past him and after the screaming party attendees outside. He swore under his breath. He shouldn't have left her. Where was Ladybug? He ducked into the now abandoned ballroom. The orchestra was long gone, most of the instruments abandoned.

"Plagg, Claws Out!" In a green flash his fitted, but removable, mask was replaced with the perfectly formed leather mask of his suit. He ran to the foyer and looked out at the scene outside. Civilians were screaming as they ran, others were laying on the ground unconscious left in the wake of Lady Pain. The akumatized girl in question was walking out to the street past the gates of the mansion.

"You'll pay for revealing my secrets Alya!" She yelled out.

"Marinette!" Chat called. She turned around and a gentle smile crossed her face.

"Kitty cat! What are you doing here?" She asked with a confused look.

"Marinette please, you can fight this," Chat called walking towards her, hands extended. If he could just stall her until Ladybug arrives this would be over soon.

"Why would I do that silly?" She giggled. He felt his eyebrows knit together, something felt off.

"I know you don't want to hurt anyone," he said calmly. She took a step back. If he could just get to her.

"Kiiitty! You know they deserve it," she laughed, taking another step back. He looked just above her for a beat long enough for her to look over her shoulder. He used the distraction to lunge forwards and pull out his baton. She turned back to him, eyes wide, a moment soon enough to jump out of the way.

Chat lunged again trying to grab her. She ducked and weaved with the uncanny giggle that set his ears on edge. No matter how close he got she stayed just far enough away to keep him from touching her. He heard the faint sound of gravel shifting behind him. He ducked. A small object flew above his head, whizzing past his leather cat ears. He spun to look at his attacker but saw nothing behind him.

"Heard a mouse? Or maybe a bug?" Lady Pain mocked. Chat looked back at her, ears trained to hear anything behind him. He glanced around for any blur of red or sign that his partner was coming.