CHAPTER 4

DAMEIN'S POV

I kicked the ball, channeling all my momentum to balance it perfectly, and effortlessly passed it to Ryan up ahead. The game had taken an exhilarating turn as he skillfully maneuvered the ball and unleashed a powerful kick towards the goalpost.

"Hell yeah!" I couldn't contain my excitement as the ball hit the back of the net, and we emerged victorious. I yelled and cheered alongside Ryan and Jake, celebrating our momentary triumph against Ace, Fedrick, and Aiden. We were on one of the grounds in the backyard of my uncle's packhouse. Our clothes were drenched in sweat from the intense athleticism of the game, while the last rays of the setting sun peeked out from behind the trees.

The soft breeze provided a gentle, cooling touch to our surroundings. Nearby, children continued playing, relishing their evening until it was time to head back indoors.

I cherished the calm and peace of this place, which always seemed elusive back at my own "home." The word "home" felt foreign when referring to where I lived now. That place was merely a roof over my head ever since she passed away. It didn't feel like home anymore, just a cold and lifeless structure.

So, I savored every moment spent here at my uncle's packhouse. The dewy atmosphere, the coldness in the air, the unfamiliar blend of materials, and the underlying tension and stress had once offered me some comfort, but it all changed when she left.

The concept of home had become a confusing and empty void in my life. That hole had existed even before she departed, but now it felt like a constant, painful reminder of her absence. With time, her presence seemed to grow stronger within me, a bittersweet reminder of the love and warmth she once brought to my life.

Today, an inexplicable shift occurred as I found myself standing at the forest's edge, perched on a high cliff, with the sun setting in the distance. It was dusk, and an eerie feeling crept over me, as if something profound was about to transpire. My wolf, my ever-present inner companion, stirred within me more vigorously than ever before. While my white fur remained unchanged, my entire body seemed to pulsate with an unfamiliar presence, a sensation I couldn't quite articulate.

My tattoos, etched onto my skin as a symbol of my lineage and heritage, began to shift and change shape, guided by the instinctual wisdom of my wolf. It was as if they were preparing me for an imminent transformation, a metamorphosis that was both thrilling and mysterious.

Lost in my thoughts, I was abruptly brought back to reality by a tap on my shoulder, just as I was about to exchange a high-five with Ryan. I turned to find Charlotte, one of my pack members, standing there with an inviting smile. "Heyyyy Damien, wanna come with me to the sorority party.", she invites me. She exuded an air of innocence as she twirled her hair around her fingers, attempting to draw me closer by gently grasping my arm.

Charlotte, it seemed, was not one to take a hint easily. However, my upbringing, instilled with the manners my mother had taught me, prompted me to politely extricate my arm from her grasp. "I'm sorry, Charlotte," I replied with a friendly tone, "but I've got a busy evening ahead with my dad. We have some important meetings to attend." Besides, I had never been particularly fond of partying and alcohol, especially when my role as Alpha demanded a constant vigilance over my appearance and responsibilities.

Charlotte's attempt at persuasion was about as subtle as a bull in a china shop, and her pouty expression made her look like she was auditioning for the role of a sulking cartoon character. In my mind, she resembled more of a crocodile than anything else, especially with those pouty lips.