CHAPTER 18

Aadaya lingered within the crowd, a mere shadow among the expectant faces waiting for the leaders. Pack members gathered in animated groups, their conversations forming a distant hum, oblivious to her presence. She chose the sidelines, intentionally avoiding attention, haunted by the memory of a past ice cream incident that had become the stuff of legend within the pack.

The arrival of Alpha Arthur, Beta James, and Uncle Ethan on the small podium shattered her thoughts. A hush fell over the assembled pack members, including those who regularly participated in the morning training sessions—a group Aadaya found herself a part of. The purpose of the gathering remained a puzzle, leaving her scanning the faces around her for clues.

Alpha Arthur stepped forward, his commanding aura unmistakably that of an Alpha. Strangely, his piercing gaze focused on Aadaya, provoking a response from her wolf. An open display of challenge emanated from him, triggering a defensive instinct in her. She held his gaze, unyielding. His dominance over the pack was evident, but a curious inability to meet Aadaya's eyes directly revealed a vulnerability. A smirk crept onto her lips, recognizing the Alpha's bravado as nothing more than an empty show.

In his resonant voice, Alpha Arthur silenced the crowd. "Pack members, you have been gathered here to announce the names of the chosen five who will be presenting our pack in the Alpha's Calling," he declared, unleashing a wave of excitement. The anticipation reached a fever pitch as the crowd awaited the unveiling of the chosen ones.

A smile played on Alpha Arthur's lips as he surveyed the electrified assembly. The buzz faded, and he continued, "The chosen five for the Alpha Calling are Ryan Razen, son of Beta James Razen; Fredric Fortzff, son of Head Warrior Domriss Fortzff; Jake Carlson, son of Warrior Cole Carlson; Zack Ramose, son of Gamma Ethan Ramose; and Aadaya Ramose, niece of Gamma Female Miranda Ramose..." The applause erupted like thunder, and Aadaya found herself at the center of the storm.

Amidst the accolades, Aadaya remained silent, absorbing the applause and congratulations. Her exterior betrayed no turmoil, yet within, a tempest brewed. Thousands of thoughts raced through her mind as she navigated the sea of well-wishers. Attempting a smile, she struggled to grasp the enormity of the moment. Only Alpha Arthur's voice echoed in her ears, the weight of her name resonating through the crowd.

What lay ahead weighed heavily on Aadaya's mind. The stakes had soared, and the prospect of her mate discovering her presence in the pack loomed ominously. The thought of leaving everything behind gnawed at her—family, ties, and the power to extricate herself from the clutches of her mate. The specter of exposure, should anyone catch a whiff of her presence, added another layer of dread. Horrifying scenarios played out in her mind, intensified by the faces around her, accusing her of being the harbinger of their demise. Panic set in as her breaths deepened, and she grappled with the impending storm that threatened to engulf her newfound reality.

**************************

Aadaya walked through the dispersing crowd, weaving her way through the opposite flow, her determined gaze fixed on her target. Alpha Arthur, flanked by his Beta and Gamma, made his way toward his office in the leader's wing of the pack house. The meeting had taken place in the expansive backyard, the grounds large enough to accommodate the gathered pack members.

As the sun dipped toward the horizon, casting warm orange rays across the pack house walls, the atmosphere was serene. The clear evening sky echoed with the pleasant sounds of chirping birds. However, amidst this natural beauty, Aadaya's heart pounded with a different rhythm – a furious beat fueled by a sense of betrayal.

Her target, Alpha Arthur, began to move away from the crowd, heading alone toward the stairs. Aadaya quickened her pace, jogging to catch up. Navigating through the pack members, she reached the stairs and sprinted around the corner, just in time to see the elevator doors closing. With an assertive hand, she halted the doors' closure and entered the elevator, finding Alpha Arthur already inside.