CHAPTER 16

Days had passed since Aadaya's embarrassing incident, and the humiliation still clung to her like a heavy shroud. The memory of her mate, Damien, laughing at her folly haunted her every waking moment. Her already fragile dignity had been dealt a severe blow, forcing her to retreat from the world. And when she said everyone, she meant absolutely everyone.

She had confined herself to her room, avoiding meals by either having them sent to her or inventing excuses to avoid communal gatherings. Aunt Miranda had grown suspicious, prodding her to explain. Aadaya had spilled everything except the tiny detail concerning Damien, and Aunt Miranda, attempting to dismiss it as a minor incident, had encouraged her to leave her room. But overcoming her anxiety seemed impossible.

Her condition had deteriorated to the point where she had to glance both ways before venturing down the hallway in her own home. Aunt Miranda had been forced to physically drag her out of the room. Aadaya had gone to great lengths, even starting her training with the pack members ahead of schedule. Yet, the resourceful negotiator in her had found a way: she trained separately in the gym.

Sweat drenched Aadaya as she ran on the treadmill, her endurance surprisingly impressive despite the continuous two-hour run. Pack members stared, astonishment etched on their faces, as they watched the human girl exhibit such stamina. Whispers circulated among them as they observed her, unknowingly becoming the focus of their attention.

Unperturbed by the stares, Aadaya continued, her earphones drowning out the world, her focus solely on the rhythm of her breathing. The exercise became her refuge, allowing her to concentrate on something other than her own thoughts. Her clothes clung to her, soaked with sweat, her skin glistening in the light.

Stepping off the treadmill as it slowed to a stop, Aadaya felt the eyes on her, the wolves of the pack watching her with a mix of surprise and confusion. Her tattoos, boldly displayed, lent her an air of mystery and danger as she moved towards the punching bag.

Wrapping her hands in elastic bandages, Aadaya began striking the bag with relentless determination. Her mind emptied of all thoughts, her senses honed in on the bag alone. With each blow, her strikes grew fiercer, the force behind them magnifying. The pack members, baffled by the raw power emanating from the seemingly fragile human, exchanged puzzled glances.

Just as she was lost in her rhythm, a voice broke her concentration. "Aadaya..." it called, pulling her back to reality. Slowly, she turned to find her Uncle Ethan standing there, his hands casually tucked into his pockets. A genuine smile brightened her face as she walked over to him, embracing him tightly.

Uncle Ethan enveloped her in a side hug, his voice gentle. "Where have you been these past few days? I haven't seen you, kiddo," he said, his tone carrying genuine concern. Aadaya attempted to find the right words, but explanations eluded her, leaving her speechless.

Knowing his niece well, Uncle Ethan continued, "It's okay, no need to fret. But I have some bad news, kiddo. Pack members have been growing suspicious, and rumors have started. There's a bit of jealousy brewing about you being exempt from training. I'm sorry, kiddo, but starting tomorrow, you'll have to join the pack training."

A sense of dread settled over Aadaya as she absorbed the news. Her mate, Damien, a constant presence in the pack training, added a layer of complication. Damien was the Alpha of another pack, but he was also the Alpha of this pack in the absence of an heir, making him the de facto leader. When Alpha Arthur stepped down, both packs would merge, a ritual that had been upheld for generations.

With no energy left to protest, Aadaya reluctantly accepted her fate. Uncle Ethan, trying to lift her spirits, said, "Kiddo, it's okay. Don't worry." As they walked out of the gym, he patted her on the back, knowing her aversion to social interactions. In an attempt to cheer her up, he suggested, "How about I become your trainer?" Aadaya managed a soft smile and nodded her agreement.

Her uncle had always been her first trainer, her rock in times of uncertainty. Embracing his offer, she left for her room to prepare for the upcoming challenges, unaware of what the future held in store for her.

***********************************

Aadaya strode through the house in her navy blue suit and pants, the crisp white shirt folded elegantly at her elbows. Her suit jacket hung casually over her arm, and the professional attire accentuated her height, giving her a commanding presence. The tight bun of her long hair added to her composed aura, turning heads as she passed.

As she reached the archway leading into the kitchen, she came to an abrupt halt, nearly colliding with Ryan, who had appeared from the opposite side. Her inked Ikanir symbols on her left arm were inadvertently on display, drawing his attention.

Ryan whistled appreciatively, "You look good! Off to the company?" His compliment made Aadaya blush, and she offered a shy smile in response. Ryan continued, "Wow, nice office life. I wanna grow up as well," he added with a groan, clearly envious of her professional demeanor.

Aadaya, still feeling shy, entered the kitchen where the rest of the family was having breakfast. Their surprised gazes met her transformed appearance. Luna Sophie couldn't help but comment, "You look so beautiful and professional. You're definitely going to turn heads." Aadaya blushed even deeper at the compliment, her Uncle Ethan and Zack reacting protectively.

"No! If anyone tries to hit on you, tell me. I will break his legs," Uncle Ethan declared vehemently, his tone fiercely protective. Zack chimed in, his expression equally serious, "And his arms as well, making him incapable of even thinking anything else."

Aunt Miranda rolled her eyes at their overprotective antics, gesturing for Aadaya to take a seat at the table. However, before Aadaya could respond, Ryan, standing behind her, interrupted with curiosity, "What is that on your arms, tattoos?" His question hung in the air, but before Aadaya could reply, Aunt Miranda tried to pull her to the table.

Politely refusing, Aadaya said, "Aunt, I'll have my breakfast at the company with Saddie and Chrissy. Sorry..." Her apology was genuine, but in the bustling atmosphere of the dining room, Ryan's question faded into the background, temporarily forgotten.

With her goodbyes, Aadaya left for her company, unaware that this small interaction might set unexpected events into motion...

...to be continued

Please Vote & Comment...