Dreaming of you

(Au- The right person, the right time, the wrong timeline. Mentions of severed limbs. This is your warning.)

Izuku and Katsuki were always told how similar they were.

Ever since they said their first word they were told how alike they were.

In elementary they never left each other's side until the quirk incident. Even then they were on par with each other both mind and strength, rivals working against one another.

In middle school they stood as exact opposites but still sharing the same goal. One at the top of the food chain, the other at the bottom. But still both setting their sights on the same school, in the same class.

In high school they stood as opposites once more. But this time the order had been switched. But, eventually balance was found and they were once more always at each other's side. Sharing the same dream.

Only that wasn't right.

They didn't share the same dream.

Of course, only Katsuki knew this.

Everybody talked about how similar he was to Izuku. Heck, at some point even their fighting styles had somehow merged to mirror each others. They were able to guess the other's thoughts at a glance, finishing sentences with only a few words spoken and having a whole conversation in a look that lasts as little as two seconds.

There are many ways they are similar. Almost eerily similar. If it wasn't for their attitudes they'd be the same person.

But Katsuki knew the one big thing that kept them apart. It wasn't who had a quirk at birth and who didn't. It wasn't who was ahead while the other was behind, it wasn't even about a silly rivalry.

No, what stopped Katsuki and Izuku from being 'so similar', was their dream.

They haven't shared the same dream in so long.

Katsuki has a very selfish dream compared to the greenette.

Katsuki's dream is to be the number one hero. Top of the leader board.

But that isn't Izuku's dream. At some point his dream had changed, from being selfish to being selfless.

Izuku's goal was to become the number one hero, but his dream is to bring peace and save everyone.

How could Katsuki ever live up to that? He couldn't. But he'd try his best to support Izuku.

When the two had gotten together, it surprised no one. After all, they were so similar that they even knew when the other was hungry before the other knew themself.

As a couple their power together skyrocketed. What they lost in fangirls was made up and then some, of people they had saved together.

A powerful partnership that caused them to rise up the leader boards at extreme speed.

Problems they had faced separately were no longer an issue. Katsuki's public image that was a rude hero with anger issues, turned into a stoic, honest and blunt hero who cared about his work. Izuku's public image had gone from a naive still new hero to a strategist hero who genuinely cared about everyone around him.

Needless to say they balanced each other out.

After all, they were almost the same in every way. Izuku and Katsuki, the power couple and duo of the century.

That was until Izuku got hurt.

Izuku had gotten hurt in the past, it comes with the work. But he was never hurt like this.

Izuku was lucky they could even save his arm after what had happened.

That itself didn't have any effect on the relationship of nearly 5 years. No, it was how hard Izuku was pushing himself that caused Katsuki to crack.