Chapter 17: Up the creek (Part 1)

3P POV

The dead of night, midnight to be exact, All the staff member's have long settled into their beds. The duty of watching the campers was currently left to the security guards and the cameras. After each challenge, the hard drive with the camera footage has to be taken out and switched with a new one. Every footage has to be edited and then be sent for approval before it can be aired. It takes over an hour for the new hard drive to sync with their system, and due to the Host's no cameras off rule, the process had to be done at night. Since all campers were expected to be asleep and the few guards patrolling the area, they never expected someone to take advantage of the large one hour window.

Five minutes after 12 a.m., I found most of the base team over at the boys' cabin. a few small glow sticks, illuminated the dark room only slightly so as not to alert those on the outside.

"Is everyone here?" Mia Bella asked, looking around at everyone. Duncan by the door and DJ and Geoff by the back windows looking out for passing guards. Tyler and Harold sat on their beds while Bridgette accompanied Mia-Bella on her's. Sadie and Kadie found no trouble sitting together on the floor by Mia-Bella and Bridgette's feet. "Glad to see everyone got my messages."

Flashback

After they finally had to force the snake off, Mia-Bella skipped excitedly towards her team and grabbed sadie and Kadie's hands while discreetly slipping a small folding up piece of paper in both of their hands.

"This is so great." she quickly released their hands and then pulled Bridgette's arms into a hug, placing another small piece of paper in her hand. "And this makes our winning strike four in a row." She quickly moved on to Duncan and Harold, wrapping her arm around both of them. "We're differently going to be the winning team at the end."

Since Mia-Bella is staying in the boy's cabin, the only ones who needed to be notified were those in the girl's cabin.

"Let's make this in team meeting as quickly as possible. Cody was voted off, which leaves the Killer Base with just 8 members left. I'm proud of everyone for making it this far." Mia-Bella said, placing her hands on Kadie and Sadie's head affectionately. A bright sense of accomplishment filled the hearts of everyone in the room, but the feeling was short. "But don't get cocky because we won 4 times in a row. That kind of thought can only drag us down. We need to continue working as a team, and that is why, judging all our strengths and weaknesses, the few I've seen so far, I made a line."

"A line?" DJ asked, his face contoured in confusion.

"What does a line have to do with us winning this thing?" Tyler followed

"It's a line consisting of all of us. Starting with Courtney, then Bridgette, Kadie, Sadie, Me, then Tyler, Duncan, Harold, Geoff, and DJ." She quickly wrote down the names on a note pad that got passed around to each team member. "It's a guide I created for better teamwork by putting us closest to who we're more compatible with. It works best if we form separate groups. I do recommend you all remember it or at least who's in front of you and who's behind you." She gave them all an encouraging smile. "We should let our experience at the first challenge be an example of how poorly we can lose if we don't work together. Whether we want to or not, we are a team, so we need to work together to get through this."

"So how comes Courtney's not here?" Tyler asked innocently

"Like dude, did you not see the last challenges?" Geoff asked

"Yeah, girls got some major control issue." DJ said with a headshake.

"She ridiculed all of us for being scared of our 'fears'." Duncan stated angrily before smirking at the memory. "Then chickened out when it came to her own fear."

"Maybe we should have like let her in on our plan?" Sadie asked

Sighing in frustration, Mia-Bella rubbed her eyes to rid herself of the sleep that was creeping closer, "You realize she mentioned she was a CIT every chance she got?" Receiving several nods, she continued, "Obviously, she's trying to show that she's not expandable."

"And what's more irreplaceable than the person leading the whole group." Bridgette followed

"Exactly, and It's not like I don't understand where she's coming from. I would have let her in on the plan if I was sure her trying to prove herself won't drag us down. Anyway, " Turning everyone's attention back to her notes with everyone's name displayed in a line. "On to busy, my plan to manipulate one of the challenges worked perfectly though I did not expect it to be so soon but regardless, we won and that's all that matters right now. It's gonna be hard to come up with something like that again, which means we will be going into the next challenge blind hence the line."

"But what if Chris decides to group us differently?" Harold asked

"Yeah, man, and your little line thing becomes useless." Tyler followed

"As I said, we're going in blind so the line is a temporary solution, so we can work with who we're compatible with. To make up for what we lack, we need to cover our bases in a few areas." Finally getting down to what everyone came for, everyone leaned forward to not miss what word of what Mia-Bella may say.

(3p POV) (3 days later)

"Today's challenge is gonna be a real summer camp experience, a canoe trip." Chris started as they all stood by the docks observing the new canoes they brought in yesterday. Laying further down on the beach were 6 canoes; 3 for each team. "You'll be padding your canoes across the lake to boney island," making his voice deeper when saying the name, emphasizing the creepiness of the place they were going. "When you get there, you must portage your canoes to the other side of the island, which is about a 2 hours hike through treacherous dense jungle." Obverving the map laid out on the stand, Chris showed the teams the destination they should travel, from the starting point, a rock in the shape of a skull, though the jungle and ending at the beach.

"We gotta port-what?" Geoff asked, confused.

"Portage." Chris repeatedly himself more slowly, but when he still had that confused look on his face, "Dude, walk with you canoes." Only when the slight, 'oh' left his mouth did Chris continue with the explanation. "When you get to the other side of the island, you'll build a rescue fire that will be judged by me. The first team, to paddle home and return their canoes, wins invisibility. Now move campers! Move!"

🌹~~~~~~~~~~🌹

Thanks for reading

👥Share, ⭐Vote, 🙋😘Comment