Three Years Prior

My tears had finally dried. Some people may exaggerate and say they cried for months, but my tears truly never dried. Of course, I controlled them around those who would use my pain against me. Mainly my parents, but I ignored most of it.

"Katya, come join me."

I followed my mother through the house. I hated that she was here.

My only solace lay in the moments when my parents were away, leaving only the staff behind. During those times, I could retreat to my room, where the warm melodies of a dusty record player enveloped me. My father occasionally rewarded me with new records when I met some mysterious standard of exceptional behaviour. I was unsure what that entailed; rules were conspicuously absent from my upbringing.

"You will listen to this meeting with your father and then tell me what you learned afterwards." She led me to the back of the room, where two chairs were waiting for us.

This was unfamiliar territory, and it made me uneasy.

My father entered with three men. They sat at a table, my father at the head. None acknowledged our presence as they discussed a man causing disruptions in a local business. Their strategy involved using the man's brother as leverage to enforce compliance with new regulations. I listened attentively, absorbing names, dates, and every detail I could grasp. From the corner of my eye, I could sense my mother's watchful gaze fixed upon me.

After the men left the room, my mother turned to me. "What did you learn?"

I began to share the information I had gleaned, unaware of what would follow. Her slap took me by surprise.

"You were supposed to keep your mouth shut, you stupid girl. Have I taught you anything? You will be a wife soon. You know nothing. You will know nothing. You keep your husband's secrets, even from your mother."

That was the day I stopped listening and started daydreaming.

Yet, little did I know daydreaming could be more treacherous than listening.