thirty-nine

˗ˏˋfull rooms and emotional catharsis 'ˎ˗

Mahika takes a break from mincing the onions on her chopping board to throw Dhruv a deadpan look, judgmental eyes shifting between his face and the container he just ate a spoonful of sugar from.

She has a feeling that she doesn't look as wooden as she intended, though — eyes ringed red and swimming with tears — when he raises an eyebrow and says, "You got something to say to me, Nobita Nobi?"

With a sniffle, she aggressively reaches for the paper towel roll hanging behind him and rips a piece off to dab at the tears trailing down her cheeks. "I'm not even surprised that you're absolutely useless in the kitchen. Got to have something to break the illusion, after all... nobody's perfect and all that."

"You're talking a lot of shit for someone who's about to make the Uttapam saltier than it's supposed to be," he comments with a raised eyebrow, motioning in the general direction of her face with the spoon. "I did suggest that we soak the onions in water for a bit..."

"You're talking a lot of shit for someone who's about to lose all of their damn teeth before they hit thirty," she fires back, letting out a groan almost immediately after at the way her eyes burn.

Dhruv clicks his tongue when she presses her palms to her eyes with a pitiful whine.

Mahika hears him shuffle away, and then the sound of the tap running fills the kitchen. "How do you do this every day?" he asks, taking hold of Mahika's wrist to pull her hand down and place a damp handkerchief on it.

"The onions get spicier around this time of the year, okay?" she grumbles, pressing the cool cloth to her eye. "And I have sensitive eyes. How are you not tearing up anyway? You're standing right here!"

Dhruv rolls his eyes and hip-checks Mahika out of the way before he picks up the knife and slowly starts cutting the rest of the onions with more insolence than Mahika deems worthy. "Have you considered wearing your glasses regularly like the rest of us myopic commoners, maybe?"

"Ugh. I hate when you nag."

"You hate when I'm right."

Mahika sniffles, and then pointedly turns away to wash her hands. "Shut up."

Dhruv hums, the smile clear in his voice when he asks, "So you wanna talk about something else then?" Mahika turns to him with a questioning look on her face. "You know... like the reason why you keep glancing at your phone every few minutes, maybe?"

If there was a world record for the fastest a person's ears can turn red, Mahika would have won the title easily with how fiercely that question makes her blush.

"Shut up," she repeats weakly, shaking off the excess water off her hands and ignoring the chuckle Dhruv lets out under his breath at the naked mortification on her face. "Can't you play the silently supportive best friend for a bit longer? My mother is in the house with us."