forty-one

"It's not that funny," Mahika repeats for the third time, but there's a fond smile on her face at the sound of uncontrollable giggles she hears from the phone sitting on her dressing table

"I don't know, Mahi, your mom sounds like a pretty funny person to me."

Mahika pulls out a lavender-colored shirt from the closet and holds it in front of her body in the mirror to get a feel of how it would look. "I don't think giving me the birds and bees talk at twenty-three counts as funny, but good to know you think so," Mahika counters, entirely oblivious to the reason behind the sudden silence from Amoli's end.

"I already have a feeling that the two of you would get along very well." She goes back to rifling through her closet for bottoms to match. "You're both equally naggy, for one..."

When Amoli doesn't respond or react to the playful jab, Mahika tilts her head back and checks the phone screen to make sure there aren't any connectivity issues.

But Amoli's still there.

"What?" she asks, chuckling softly when she finds the other girl sitting at her desk with her chin propped up on her palm, looking into the camera with a small smile on her face.

"Nothing," When Mahika raises her eyebrows at the short response, Amoli silently averts her eyes and shakes her head.

"Well, I didn't call so you could sit back and admire me, Amo," Mahika teases, her grin widening when Amoli only responds with a half-hearted eye roll at the way Mahika points at the invisible watch on her wrist to exaggerate her point. "You're supposed to get dressed in like, an hour."

Amoli does get up at that, though, but not without another amused shake of her head. "What, with the camera on?" she throws over her shoulder, and Mahika hums and pulls a pair of white, floral shorts out of the drawer. "Bold."

"I mean... I have seen you naked."

There's a scoff from Amoli's end. "Shut up, Mahi," she says.

Mahika lets the corners of her lips pull back in a grin. "It's nothing I haven't seen in the mirror before -"

"Stop recycling my jokes!" Amoli calls from somewhere in her room, but Mahika can't see her in the frame so she assumes that she's looking through her closet as well. "And you said it was only through your peripheral vision, so it doesn't count."

"Booo."

Amoli's head - only her head - pops into the frame from the side again, the smile on her lips coy. "Yes, honey?"

Mahika gives her an unimpressed look and does not bother dignifying the words with a verbal response.

"Is a sundress okay?" Amoli asks, and Mahika can now hear the sounds of drawers opening and closing. "I want a hint." She appears back in the frame, a bunch of clothes draped across her forearm, and pout in place.