one

˗ˏˋ the mornings after and sober realisations 'ˎ˗

Mahika doesn't really know if she's a morning person or not.

It depends entirely on how she spends her time the night before — which usually consists of staying up late to finish her assignments, let's be honest here — and how much sleep she gets.

The thing is, she likes mornings. She likes waking up to the light peeking in through the slightly parted curtains of her window. She enjoys the few hours of the pleasant weather, the very thin veil of cold in the air before the heat strikes and pierces through it, and claims the noon as its own.

Today, though? Not so much.

She first opens her eyes with a groan, already feeling a dull, throbbing ache in her neck that she knows will get worse as her day progresses. Squinting her eyes as she barely opens them, she inhales deeply and lets out a long, sleepy sigh.

God, I hate Mondays.

When she finally manages to push herself into an upright, sitting position, she winces at the kink in the back of her neck. Even when she reaches out to massage it a little, she knows it won't do much.

This. This is why she hates weddings.

Letting out another sigh of exasperation when she can't completely straighten her back for a bit, exhaustion evident in her muscles more than ever, she somehow manages to slip out of bed and drag herself to the bathroom, all the while lousily stretching her arms above her head with a yawn. The floor is cold against her still-weary feet, certainly an odd but definitely not an unwelcoming feeling. If anything, it feels a little soothing.

But of course, to add to the misery of her day she has to be in college in less than two hours.

Managing to squeeze some toothpaste onto the brush shaking in her drooping hold after struggling for a few minutes, she slips it into her mouth and finally looks into the mirror.

And well... that's a surprise she clearly wasn't ready for.

Feeling like a bucket of cold water has been thrown in her face, Mahika knows that she looks absolutely ridiculous with the toothbrush hanging from her slightly parted mouth, eyes unnaturally wide as she takes notice of the marks on her neck.

Oh, God, she thinks. Are those hickeys?

Upon a shaky but closer inspection, eyes-narrowed and head tilted to one side with her frame leaning forward, she comes to the conclusion that the very pink, and very obvious marks on the side of her neck are truly hickeys.

She tilts her head to the other side, carding her fingers through her hair to push it back and reveal the other side of her neck. She blinks a few times, a limp attempt at clearing her vision before a faint blush coats her cheeks at the realization that she has a few marks on the other side too.