seventeen

˗ˏˋ evening glows and change of plans 'ˎ˗

With her hands on her hips, Amoli looks around her shared room with Sakshi.

It feels oddly empty now that she too, has packed most of her stuff since they're leaving tomorrow, a frown taking upon her features when she realizes that by this time tomorrow, she won't be here.

She'll be at home, surrounded by the familiar walls of her room that once made her feel safe but now make her feel the exact opposite, desperately longing for another break from University.

Not to mention, the idea of having to part with everyone else after spending so many days with them leaves a bad taste in her mouth. When she was on her way here, she hadn't even expected herself to get used to them so quickly, let alone so attached.

The longer she stands there, the heavier her heart seems to get. So with a sigh, she ties her hair on top of her head in a messy bun and walks out, softly shutting the door behind her. When the low sound seems to echo in the empty house, her eyebrows knit together. Maybe, just maybe, she's beginning to regret staying back today.

Since it was their last day here, Akash had suggested that they go on a drive instead of choosing a spot to go to. As lovely as the idea had sounded, Amoli had woken up and felt her exhaustion from the past days in her bones. So she had stayed back.

But now the house feels a little too bare.

Feeling a little too aimless as soon as she makes her way down the stairs, she ends up in the kitchen to make herself some tea. Maybe it's just to give her hands something to work with, but it's a start. The thought that she barely ever sets a foot inside the kitchen back at home crosses her mind, and she shakes her head. Courtesy of her parents' tendency to spoil their children and not letting them do anything by their own hands inside the house might have contributed to why Amoli feels so purposeless right now.

They had always been the type to tell her, and her brothers, of course, to 'focus on school'. And although Amoli had secretly appreciated—maybe even enjoyed—not having to do anything except study when she was a teenager, she doesn't feel the same way anymore. If anything, she regrets not pushing her mother to let her out of the academic bubble she had trapped herself in.

Somewhere in the midst of her introverted ways, she had ended up isolating herself instead. And now she doesn't know how to undo it. To top it off, now that she has gotten a view of life through the eyes of someone who is always surrounded by people who care about each other, she doesn't know how she's going to be okay on her own anymore.

With another sigh and an internal, Stop thinking about it, she leans against the wall while waiting for the water to boil, eyes involuntarily going towards the window to stare outside.