forty

➷

a/n

putting the author's note first this time because of two things.

first, do not comment shit like 'finally !!!!!!' and 'wow i wonder how long we have to wait for the next chapter now' or anything of the sort on this chapter because you only take away more from my motivation to write. i'm a very patient person but this year has been extremely unkind to me and i will not take more people adding to it. you will be blocked if you piss me off.

second, i do not get paid for any of this. i'm not saying that i should be. i'm just reminding the people that constantly make me feel like crap (for the hundredth time) for not managing to make time out of my utterly insane schedule. i have 3 jobs. three. aside from that, i could write you an entire essay on how hard things are for me regarding my health and living situation.

i'm in pain all year round. please stop adding to it. i owe you absolutely nothing. i'm exhausted and frankly at the edge of being done with wattpad for good. i will not be mentioning this again. you make me feel like shit, you're out. i'm sorry but i've run out of patience.

to everyone else, i missed you with my entire heart. thank you for waiting. thank you for being here. i appreciate you more than i could ever put into words.

When Mahika wakes up, it's pouring outside and the house smells exactly like it used to when she would come back from school at fifteen and dump her backpack on the couch to greet her mother in the kitchen with a hug.

Her mother would bend down, kiss the top of Mahika's head, and smile with gentleness drifting in her gaze. "Hi, mera baccha. Did you have a good day?"

And fifteen-year-old Mahika would nod, burrow herself closer to her mother, and forget about how badly she wanted to never go back to school.

Twenty-three-year-old Mahika doesn't have to worry about things like that, though, so she slowly sits up, stretches her arms above her head, and curves her back until she hears a satisfying little pop from her spine - courtesy of yet another late-night studying session - and then slumps forward with a yawn.

Her eyes, seemingly with a mind of their own, find her phone on the bedside table before anything else. There's a tiny, sleepy smile on her lips when she leans over to pick it up, because she knows there'll be some exasperated texts from a certain girl waiting for her.

They're in response to Mahika's texts about how she's staying up to study for the exams she has next week. She had silenced her phone and kept it aside after telling Amoli that, because she knew it would have been nearly impossible to put the device away once they started to talk.