twenty-four

˗ˏˋ lively greetings and teary goodbyes 'ˎ˗

The sound of the bathroom door clicking open makes Mahika's head snap up, hands still under the water even as a pair of dark eyes that she's grown all too familiar with meet hers in the mirror.

Mahika's lips twitch before she realizes it.

"Well, well, well," Amoli drawls exaggeratingly, clearly holding back her own smile. "The sense of déjà vu is strong with this one."

Allowing her smile to grow a little wider—a little more obvious, a little more like she can't help but let it show on her face that the mere sight of Amoli fills her with warmth—Mahika turns the tap off and shakes the excess water off her fingers before wiping them clean with a paper towel. When she turns, Amoli has already stepped closer.

Mahika feels her subconscious nudge at her to reach out. Touch. Hold. Just... be closer. But she holds back and allows a playful glint to appear in her eye as she folds her arms across her chest.

"Maybe if you stopped following me into bathrooms..."

Amoli keeps a hand on her chest, right over her heart as if offended. "The first time was pure accident. Promise."

"So you followed me this time."

Offering nothing but a cheeky smile in return, Amoli says, "I will neither confirm, nor deny that statement."

Mahika wants to tease her more, but she tucks the thought away for later with an eye roll, finally allowing herself to take in the sight in front of her completely; marvels at the way Amoli's pretty white blouse leaves the dips and curves of her collarbones on display. Smiles a little when she sees the tiny moons hanging at the end of her dangly earrings, on the brink of brushing her shoulders. Takes the last step forward and lets herself have a single moment of weakness where her fingers reach out to tuck a lock of Amoli's now short hair behind her ear, index finger shyly caressing a stripe down her helix.

She takes hold of a moon and tugs very, very lightly. "Hi."

Amoli exhales in a long, shaky breath. Like she had been holding it in.

Mahika bites back another smile, but she really doesn't have it in herself to hide her satisfaction right now.

"Don't," Amoli warns, but the heat in her glare is lost when she leans into Mahika's touch.

"I didn't say anything."

"Good." Amoli closes her eyes for a brief moment. "Keep it that way."

An involuntary laugh makes its way past Mahika's lips, and even though she wants to, she doesn't joke about how this time is so much different than the last time they were standing in the same bathroom. Partly, because she can't bring it up without her cheeks blooming three different shades of pink, but it's not like she'll admit that out loud.