eight

˗ˏˋ sparkling eyes and still waters 'ˎ˗

When Mahika opens her eyes and finds light streaming through the window and illuminating the room that looks hazy and unfamiliar, she blinks in confusion. It takes a moment for her brain to register that she isn't at home and this isn't another one of those times when she fell asleep working on her assignments.

Surprised for a second time when she turns and sees a figure asleep beside her, curled into a ball with their face turned away, Mahika lets out a sigh.

Keerti always sleeps like a little child.

And even in her disoriented state, she makes sure she's careful when she gets out of bed, because Keerti is an extremely light sleeper. She keeps her eye on the girl to make sure she's still asleep even when she slides her feet into the house slippers.

Her fingers reach into her hair to smooth the tangles out as she makes her way down the stairs, covering her mouth with the back of her hand when she feels a yawn coming. The weather has gotten slightly warmer now; enough that she doesn't have to worry about wearing an extra layer of clothing over her full-sleeved shirt.

The house is bathed in silence, so she figures that everyone has gone to bed to catch some rest to gather some energy for the evening, since they're all supposed to go to the lake. Apparently, there's a temple around there that Akash's parents had wanted him and Naina to visit before they left.

Mahika is in no way a religious person, but she appreciates the calmness that comes from watching people gather together in one place to just believe. There's something serene about being in a space like that.

She's looking around when Maya, the same woman who had greeted them when they had arrived comes in, a smile lighting up her face at the sight of Mahika standing in the kitchen.

"Did you sleep well?" she asks, eyes kind. "Are you hungry?"

Those are the two questions Mahika is only ever used to hearing out of her mother's mouth. But then again, Mahika had immediately felt like Maya was an older sister to all of them as soon as she had met her. She had greeted them warmly and regarded them with the kindest pair of eyes Mahika has ever seen.

"I did!" Mahika smiles thankfully and shakes her head. "I don't want to eat right now and then sit out lunch with everyone."

"Ah-uh," Maya shakes her head and clicks her tongue in disapproval. "Sit down. I'll fix a bowl of fruit for you if you aren't eating anything else."

Mahika smiles sheepishly and obliges.

She would offer to help, but she would be more of a hazard anywhere near the kitchen than a help. So she stays put on the dining table, elbow on the table, chin resting on her hand as she watches Maya nimbly slice fruits for her into small pieces.