four

˗ˏˋ vital days and deficient talks 'ˎ˗

Over the next week, Mahika's contact with her friends becomes less frequent amidst the chaos that is the burden of assignments before their exam week, big white sheets lining her floor, her bed, and her desk.

She's been studying so much that she's on the verge of getting physically sick of it, and she doesn't doubt that her friends are doing the same. They all have vastly contrasting personalities, but if there's anything they all happen to have in common, it's their love for their majors.

Her hair, on top of her head in a loose bun, looks messier than it ever has. She's settled with her glasses instead of her lenses because they were making her already tired eyes burn, sitting on the floor with her pencil tucked behind her ear. Everything paired with her giant, crumpled shirt — with no pants, because honestly, Mahika would get through the rest of her life pant-less if she could — and shorts make her look like she was thrown inside a tornado for a few seconds. The mess in her room adds to the aesthetic.

Leaving everything up for the last moment definitely wasn't part of the plan. And honestly, Mahika is surprised. Because this isn't the type of person she is. She knows working until her bones ache, submitting her portfolios to the professors before anyone else, and watching everyone cry and yell in chaos while she sits back and rests as much as she can before her exams. But this time, she had been... distracted.

Fingers reaching for the pencil, she scratches her head with the back of it. Her spine is shrieking at her to give it a rest, but Mahika knows there's no time for that.

Welcome to the life of design. Say hello to back pain.

She's been constantly switching between mumbling along (and calling it 'singing') with the music playing in her room and groaning to herself every once in a while about just how much work she has to get done before the day ends. It was working just fine until her stomach started rumbling, reminding how cruel she has been to it by not feeding it anything for over thirteen hours now, drawing her attention to the clock.

23:15.

Tired eyes squeezing shut for a second and teeth letting go of her lower lip to let a sigh move past, she thinks, I'll just eat when I'm done.

Although at the back of her mind, she's aware that the first thing she'll do after she hits send on that email to her professor, she'll throw herself in bed, cramped shoulders and all, and be out like a light the next minute.

She cross-checks everything before she finally leans back, rolling her wrist. The last thing she has to do is gather everything from the floor and then she can breathe out a sigh of sweet, sweet relief. While she's in the middle of pushing herself off the floor though, she hears a sound from outside that immediately makes her head shoot up in surprise.