thirty-three

˗ˏˋ sleepy sighs and no denials  'ˎ˗

Mahika gains consciousness when she feels someone tapping lightly on her shoulder, and it takes her a few seconds to adjust to the dim light when she slowly opens her eyes.

And then a low noise that's between confusion and alarm escapes her lips when she panics because there's weight on her chest and it's —

Hair?

The touch on her shoulder settles into a hold and she jerks again, only to whip her head to the side and see Sakshi's face way too close to hers. Another short, sharp cry of surprise leaves her before she finally understands where she is and why there's an awful crick in her neck.

Sakshi is now sitting back on the carpet with her hand slapped to her mouth to muffle her laughter, and Mahika squeezes her eyes shut and lets out a groan of annoyance before she realizes that there's a head tucked under her chin.

And it belongs to Amoli.

"I didn't mean to startle you like that," Sakshi says, eyes still curled into crescent moons from her laughter, and Mahika can't call her out on it because her chest is now filling with an entirely different kind of panic.

She suddenly feels much more awake, growing increasingly aware of the arm thrown around her waist and the body aligned beside hers on the couch.

"I wasn't going to wake you up." Sakshi's voice is soft, clearly oblivious of the storm brewing in Mahika's stomach. "But then I was like, 'Wow, this can't be comfortable' and couldn't help myself. Sorry."

It isn't. But that's not Mahika is worried about.

She fell asleep on the couch with Amoli. The other girl is quite literally half-lying on top of Mahika and seems to be in a deep sleep without a care in the world.

A single glance around tells Mahika that the laptop is still on the table, but Sakshi must have shut it down just now because Mahika doesn't remember doing it. Hell, she doesn't even remember when she fell asleep.

And she definitely has no idea how she ended up in this position with Amoli, because the last thing she remembers is Amoli eventually moving to just rest her head on Mahika's shoulder in the middle of their quiet conversation about their lives before they knew each other.

"What time is it?" Mahika mumbles quietly, voice still a bit sleepy and words jumbled together.

Thankfully, Sakshi can decipher them somehow. "Almost two."

Mahika takes a long breath and presses her fingers to her closed eyes, trying to rub the last remnants of sleepy confusion out of them. It takes her another second to realize that her other arm is wrapped around Amoli's back, her hand resting right on the bump of her spine under the nape of her neck.