thirty-four

˗ˏˋ dewy kisses and morning light 'ˎ˗

Mahika is used to waking up alone.

She's still not sure if she'd call herself a morning person or not, but she does know that she likes this time of the day. When the morning light gently filters through the windows and rouses her from her slumber.

From the very first stretch of her arms above her head and the gentle warmth of the morning sun kissing her cheeks as she slowly opens her eyes, to the soft rustle of the leaves outside; she appreciates the quiet moments she gets to herself in the morning.

Most days, at least.

But then she also has days when she wakes up and pretty much feels the exact opposite, the quiet of the house loud enough that it makes her ears ring.

Those days, she hates the alarm clock blaring in her ears, and the weight on her chest. She hates being stuck staring at the ceiling for God knows how long. She hates the sense of dread that fills her stomach at the thought of having an entire day ahead of her to drag herself through.

Today, though, Mahika does not wake up alone.

And she wakes up slowly, like a flower unfurling in the morning sun. The world around her is still hazy; dreamlike when she takes a deep breath and burrows her face deeper into her pillow for a few moments before letting out a sleepy sigh and languidly opening her eyes.

When the sight of Amoli comes into focus, head raised on her knuckles and eyes already on Mahika's face, Mahika's eyes open a tad bit wider in surprise.

She breathes out a little 'oh' and blinks a few times.

The memories of last night come to her in tiny fragments, the words, 'Forget slow, I hate slow' echoing amidst her sleep-dazed thoughts.

And Amoli, of course, decides to make matters worse by murmuring a soft, 'good morning' with a tiny, secretive smile on her lips like she knows something that Mahika doesn't. There's a respectable amount of distance between their bodies, but there's something inexplicably soft and delicate in Amoli's expression that makes Mahika feel exposed and vulnerable in a way that she hasn't before.

"Mhm... g'morning," Mahika mumbles, blinking slower this time, words slurred and the corners of her lips beginning to lift for reasons unknown to her despite the undeniable flush in her cheeks, and adds, "Creep." Her skin only grows warmer with every piece of last night that slowly returns to her. "Wha' time's'it?"

"When Edward Cullen does it, it's the peak of romance," Amoli retorts playfully in a way that tells Mahika that unlike her, Amoli has been awake for a while. "But when I do it, I'm a creep."

Mahika clicks her tongue. Doesn't know how successful she is at it because there's a certain heaviness to her eyes that she can't shake off still. Lets the small smile on her face stick even as her eyes fall half-closed and mumbles, words still skating over each other, "Wha'peak?... s'equally creepy."