prologue

˗ˏˋ ostentatious celebrations and drunken confessions 'ˎ˗

The tick in Mahika's jaw was becoming more prominent with every ticking second.

She was sure that if there wasn't so much noise around her — the music with unnecessarily heavy bass, the screaming, the people talking too loud, you get the gist of it — the entire room could have heard how hard she was grinding her teeth in pure annoyance.

Now don't get her wrong, she was more than happy for her best friend for finding someone she loved enough to get married to. But she wished that weddings came without the extraneous package.

Mahika was clearly not a people's person.

Neither was she a party person.

Or... a wedding attire person, really.

Because the drawing string of her lehenga was currently digging into her skin hard enough to probably leave a thin, angry line under her navel. The darn thing had made her look pretty in the mirror for a total of twenty minutes before she had realized what a pain it was.

Right then, she wished she wasn't a person at all.

The dress was a dandelion shade of yellow with extremely intricate gold embroidery on it, and it made Mahika feel like she was supposed to step out of a chariot and have two people already holding out their arms to escort her into a ballroom. She might have fallen in love with how it looked on her, but she wasn't exactly the biggest fan of how heavy it felt on her body after a few hours into the wedding reception.

Taking a deep breath, she looked around the unnecessarily large but overwhelmingly full room again, the grimace on her face this time only slight as she took in the shockingly huge number of smiles around her, the decor that probably took a day, and a hundred people's worth of work to arrange but would definitely be thrown away the second all the guests left, and the giant, pretty, but very useless fountain in the middle that people were more likely to collide with than appreciate.

She had to resist the urge to raise her feet up on the chair so she could massage them. Unlike Cinderella, nothing about her dropping her heels was going to be accidental. If anything, she wanted to slide them off and chuck them into the very same fountain that she was waiting for people to collide into. Maybe that would make things a bit interesting.

Why is it like, right in the middle of the hall anyway?

Then again, there were a lot of questionable things that happened at Indian weddings that she had the misfortune of witnessing with her own eyes.

"Mahi!" A familiar, overjoyed voice announced, making her name sound like Mahiii, announcing the presence of Mahika's other best friend. The one that wasn't getting married. "You're here!"