twenty-six

˗ˏˋ buzzing heads and fuzzing hearts 'ˎ˗

With her head hanging down the edge of the bed in an uncomfortable position, the weight of Sakshi's head pressing on her belly, and Keerti lying on the floor like a starfish, talking about something funny that happened in class this week, Mahika takes something... atypical into consideration.

Maybe it's all the blood rushing to her head, or the warm fuzziness of the little bit of alcohol the three of them just shared in her chest, or her friends' familiar laughter ringing in the room that makes her think about this, but the, What if I just told them circling her subconscious seems to be very adamant on making her notice it today.

It's... weird. She can't fully blame the alcohol, but she also can't let it off the list. It's contributing to the bravery for sure, but mostly, it's the conversation they were having. About how everyone around them seems to assume that Dhruv and Mahika have something going on between them. That their friends obviously know the two of them wouldn't be together in a romantic sense even if they were the last two people left on the planet, but at the same time, none of them have ever seen Mahika interested in anyone before.

It's because you're trying to look for it between me and a man, had been at the tip of her tongue, but she had quickly bit it back and crushed the thought inside her head before it could grow in size.

Because it's something she had been finding herself a little... bitter about in particular.

Mahika is close to all of her friends. She'd clung to Naina all her life (and vice versa), and no one around them had assumed they were dating? Why was it that she only ever got suggestive looks when she was around Dhruv? Why is it that there's no way anyone would joke about the position she's lying in right now with Sakshi?

It's not that she doesn't believe in physical intimacy between friends; she favors it. She's always craved closeness in all of her relationships. But what she doesn't understand is the line that people always blur between friends only when the two people in question are of opposite genders.

So Mahika... thinks about it. About telling her friends that there's only one person she's really ever liked and that they've never been able to tell despite how often they're all together.

She could be wrong, but she thinks there's something very different and very obvious about the air between her and Amoli. Hell, Mahika feels like a different person when she's around Amoli. In a good way.

And honestly, what's the worst that could happen if Mahika tells them, anyway? Plus, she very strongly believes that her friends would be supportive. There's no way they wouldn't be. The only reason why she'd been hesitant so far is the... change that might come with it. What if they see her differently? Different how? She really doesn't know. But it still holds her back.