three

˗ˏˋ spontaneous plans and definite rejections 'ˎ˗

A deep, exhausted sigh makes its way past Mahika's lips right as the door clicks shut behind her.

Her eyes fall close right as she drops her keys in the bowl, leaning her back against the door. This kind of day is the norm, really. But there's something about today that she can't quite pinpoint, something that has left her a little more tired than usual.

She heaves another sigh and makes her way in, all the while massaging the back of her neck, after lazily kicking her sneakers off — internally thanking Mahika from the morning on making a good call because she doesn't know how she would have survived if she had decided to spend her day in heels — and drops her purse on the couch. She revels in the way the soft, plush carpet feels against her aching skin.

Like always, she has to resist the urge to sink down on the carpet, a faint smile on her lips as she thinks about the face her mother would make every time Mahika did exactly that. The thought of her mother makes her reach inside her purse so she can pull out her phone to check up on her.

When her mother's phone rings and then goes straight to voicemail, she glances at the clock and furrows her brows. It's not that late. Deciding not to think much of it, she just settles with a simple text to ask her if she has been eating and resting enough and hopes she gets back to Mahika soon.

She knows for a fact that the woman isn't asleep. She's probably busy.

Then again, Mahika doesn't remember a time when she wasn't.

It's why Mahika too, has a job even though she knows it takes a toll on her, taking into account all of the work she already has to deal with for college.

Her mother not being home so often had made her feel lonelier than she has ever admitted out loud. Times like this, she really wishes she wasn't an only child. Maybe then, it'd feel a little less lonely at home.

Eventually — and luckily — she had found a job at a local design firm almost a year ago out of sheer loneliness, and she happens to actually like it there. Her coworkers are some of the sweetest people ever, the environment of the workplace is warm and welcoming, and Mahika doesn't feel like a sad, useless vegetable lying at home.

She drops her phone back on the couch and it bounces once before falling between the corner of the couch and a little cushion, before tipping her head backwards to rest it against the back pillow. When she closes her eyes for a few seconds and opens them again, an odd glumness fills her chest. The light on the ceiling isn't helping either, so she closes her eyes again.

It's not long before the silence of the room gets a little too loud, and she chooses to leave the room with a dejected sigh, taking hold of her sweat-damp shirt and fanning it to let the cool air through.