8

A week later

Fatima sat in her parents living room in a daze after having lunch with her mother.

It's been a week since she seen to Zac but he still called and text to check on her. She only returned his text with a dry responses.

She know she was wrong for leaving things the way she did. He could've had a family emergency or something. She couldn't expect him not to answer his phone sometime or to not work.

Was she being unreasonable? Was she being emotional due to the pregnancy? Was he choosing work over her again? Should she apologize and give him grace for trying to meet her demands.

Her head was starting to hurt from all these swirling questions.

"When you're ready to talk, I'm here to listen." Her mother said interrupting her thoughts.

"Huh? Sorry, my mind was somewhere else." She looked over at her mom sitting patiently as she watched her.

" She looked over at her mom sitting patiently as she watched her

"Mmm-hmm. So are things with Zac going?" Claire asked taking a sip of her tea.

"Fine. Things are good." Fatima said twisting in her seat trying to concealed her pain. She felt a sharp cramp like pain run across the bottom of her stomach.

"Well which is it? Fine or good?" Claire raised an eyebrow.

"Mama...it's a mess." She exhaled.

Fatima told her mother what happened with Zac.

"We made some good progress but I feel like it's falling apart." Cried as her breath hitched.

"Ok, calm down and breathe. Here." Her mom said putting her inhaler in her hand.

"Now, he was wrong for answering at the time. He could have called back afterwards. Hell, he should have turned it off or put it on silent. But.."

"But what?" Fatima asked.

"I think you're punishing him."

"No, I'm not." She argued back

"Deep down,, I think you are. Leaving him wasn't enough. You still have alot of hurt and anger that he needs to feel. For all the lonely dinners, hurtful arguments, and empty promises."

"I don't think so.. Maybe I am?" Fatima sputtered.

"Not every call will be work. And if it is try talking to him instead of turning him away. Maybe even help him so they don't call disturb your time together. And set boundaries."

"Yeah, I guess you right." She grimaced as the pain shot through back this time.

"Yeah. Seems like you making him do all the work, meet him halfway. Okay?"

"Okay." She sighed.

"Good. Now put on your shoes and let's go." Claire demanded raising from her seat.