【ten】

❝And everything was so wrong without her.❞

"You okay there, Jav?" asked Murphy looking over his shoulder.

"Yep. Just tired." he replied, rubbing his temple. "Have you heard anything from her?"

Murphy stopped for a moment.

"You're asking me that every single day since she left." he pointed out, to which he just rolled his eyes. "She's fine, amigo."

Steve and his spanish accent made Javi crack a smile. He couldn't help it, it was destroying him from the inside. Not knowing where she was now, if she was safe, was driving him crazy.

Ever since she went on vacation with her boyfriend, everything seemed so wrong. Javier felt that a storm was approaching, but he suppressed it with a pack of cigarettes that he smoked in the morning. He shouldn't have done that and yet, he was so absorbed in thinking about her that he didn't even notice when all that was left of his Marlboro's was an ash.

He wondered if she was thinking about him too. Maybe not in the exact same way but still. He was curious. He wanted to know what was going on inside her head right now so he could fix it eventually.

Because truth to be told, Cody did nothing in that case, apart from taking her to some fancy hotel in Cartagena.

At least she could finally take some rest, despite her protests and putting it off forever.

He was glad she had a chance to do that. But that wasn't what was pissing him off.

He never wanted Cody to go there with her. He just didn't belong there. He didn't know how to take care of her. Javier did. He would do anything to keep the smile on her face and her beautiful eyes would never have to shed tears in his presence.

"You think they're having fun?" he asked, putting on his yellow aviators. Steve hooked his hands around the vest he was wearing and shrugged.

"Sure, but I still think we're having much more." he nodded towards the crime scene, which was currently besieged by law enforcement and medical services. "Carillo doesn't look happy."

"Does he ever? I mean...have you seen him smiling?"

Steve shook his head, laughing. "I hope I'll get a chance for that before one of us will get a bullet."

Peña agreeded with him in silence, his mind flashing back to Elodie. Her soft, brown hair, her beautiful eyes, her smile that could light up a city after dark...

She was just so perfect. Like a fucking dream, that he could loop over and over again.

But Javier?

He was not good enough for her. Too erratic, too flawed, too chaotic, and ruining every good thing that ever came his way.

Murphy's phone rang just as they reached the car. They were to return to the unit after a raid. Javi was too lost in his own thoughts to hear that the intel has new information.

But this time it wasn't just some sicario.

This man called himself a Pablo's guardían.

Whatever that meant, they both knew that a new player had joined the game.

An extremely dangerous game that was supposed to show them that Pablo was capable of anything.

* * *

"Okay, what do we have on this guy?" Javi crossed the threshold, shrugging off his jacket.

Murphy - who had already extracted the most valuable information - gave him a quick look and then began to speak: