【twelve】

❝When the truth comes to the light❞

Javier walked slowly into their office, sitting at his desk with a still warm mug of coffee. He hasn't smoked a single cigarette yet, even though he really wanted to. Steve was having a rambling conversation with Connie, — as he guessed by his partner's expression — and it didn't seem good.

"Honey, slow down. I'm sure it's nothing, maybe she ate something or..." he paused when his wife started to shout. "Okay, I'll check on her later. Love you."

Javier raised an eyebrow at him.

"What? Your cat is sick?" he didn't want to be mean, but the temptation was greater.

"Man, I won't take another cat ever again." Steve shook his head helplessly. "No, it's Elodie. Connie said she's been vomiting all morning."

So that's why she's not at work today, he thought to himself.

"Something serious?" asked Javi, when sense of worry started to grow in him.

Murphy shrugged.

"I don't know. I need to check on her but Carillo called. He wants us in the unit so—"

"I'll check on her, you go to Horacio." he offered, already grabbing his jacket and heading off, without saying more.

Steve opened his mouth to say something but bit his tongue having a feeling that it was even better this way. Seeing his partner rushing to help his bestfriend warmed his heart but he couldn't help but think that it wasn't because of his good intentions. Javier was known for being a ladies man and Steve must have kept that in mind when letting them meet.

He just hoped Javier for once won't be the asshole everyone thinks he is.

* * *

Javier tried to drive carefully. But the fact that Elodie was in pain was too overhelming. He assumed he'd be there in fifteen minutes.

He got there in less than seven.

He quickly climbed the stairs and when he reached her door, he hesitated. First he looked for a spare key, but when he didn't find it, he thought that the door must have been open. Usually he preferred to knock, but this time he grabbed the door handle and silently entered the apartment, looking for the brunette.

Sunny ran up to him, jumping in and wagging his tail. Javier chuckled at him with a smile on his face. He always seemed to be happy about his presence in their apartment. Every time, Javier would stop by he was always greeted by the golden retriever. It looked like he missed the presence of other people.

"Hey, buddy. Shh, it's me. Where is El? Can you show me?"

Sunny — being a good boy he was — started walking towards the couch with Javier right behind him.

And that's when he saw her.

Lying down, curled up and defenseless, with her knees drawn up to her chest, making her appear even smaller. She looked tired, pallor covering most of her face. Her eyes were closed, too heavy with the fatigue.

He crouched down next to her, reaching out to place his hand on her cheeks. He ran his thumb over the soft texture of her skin, resisting the urge to press a kiss there. He had no right to do so. Not now, not in this case.

"Elodie." he murmured, tucking her hair behind her ear. "Mírame, hermosa. (Look at me, beautiful)"

Her eyelids lifted, revealing the blue of her beautiful eyes for which he was lost.