Chapter 2

Moo Chi tried not to feel guilty when the chief approached him after he had put the culprit in the holding cell, both of them wet and dirty from the chase.

"Detective Ko," the chief said dryly, and Moo Chi turned around.

"Hi chief, I was just" he said with a smile, but before he could say anything else the chief interrupted him.

"Prosecutor Ji wants to have a word," the chief said.

"Prosecutor Ji?" Moo Chi said, having seen the gigantic scowling man in the office before, but never having talked to him.

Seeing that he was new here, that wasn't anything weird. A detective could go quite a while without needing to enter that office. But of course, Moo Chi wasn't the kind of detective that avoided those things.

"You fucked up," his colleague said, almost sounding pleased, "come on, get it over with. As far as we know, Ji never really ate anyone,"

"Oh god, don't scare the rookie," another coworker said, "but boy, I'm sure glad it isn't me that needs to go,"

Moo Chi glared at the laughing men and decided that it was best to get it all over with. Ignoring the mud that was clinging to him, he walked to the office, and knocked on the door of the man.

"A moment," a deep voice said, and Moo Chi swallowed nervously before folding his face into somewhat less scared looking, and he thought he just managed it when the door opened, and he was staring straight at the prosecutor muscled chest.

"Ah, yes detective Ko," the prosecutor muttered, "come on in,"

Moo Chi followed the too large man, closing the door behind him and when he turned around the muscled body was leaning against his desk. Approaching, Moo Chi stood still about a meter away, trying not to stare at the prosecutor who was standing in front of him, glaring down at him. He shifted his legs, feeling a bit of mud slide down and knowing it dirtied the carpet.

The silence that formed was quickly working on his nerves, and Moo Chi put his hands in his pockets, to hide the shaking.

"So, what's up?" he asked, flippantly, seeing prosecutor Ji's nostrils flare open.

"What's up?" the man snarled, "you ask me what's up after you've disappeared for a whole day and night when you were giving chase to a known murderer. No message to your partner, no way of contacting you, no information,"

"Yeah, well, I got good reason..." Moo Chi tried, but he was interrupted.

"You could have been lying dead in a ditch somewhere, for all we knew," the prosecutor said, finally moving and sitting down behind his desk, making Moo Chi breathe a sigh of relief. To be honest, it did feel rather intimidating to have the man lean over him like that.

But perhaps not as intimidating as his colleagues made seem. All the anger was seemingly because something could have happened to Moo Chi, not because he ignored orders. He could work with that.

"But now I'm here," Moo Chi said, seeing the man stare at him, probably not used to having someone like him on the team. He had meant it as both a statement and a reassurance to the man, but for a moment he thought he had broken the prosecutor.

Hyuk was honestly surprised by the detective, who was managing to back talk even when he had put his scary face on. The last detective he had reprimanded had nearly fainted in fear, and the one before that hadn't been able to talk at all.

The fact that detective Ko was still talking to him, and rather cheekily at that, was weird, and showed that the man really didn't have any self-preservation, which was proven by the fact of why he was here, but still.