Wᴀᴋᴇ Uᴘ (3)

______________________________________

Layla sat with Carlos at the table waiting for dinner.

"There we go." Ray says as he and Julie set the food down. "Okay. Let's do this."

"Let's do it." Layla says as they sit and take each others hands. Julie and Layla holding their hand out to the empty seat reserved for Rose.

"Your turn, Carlos." Ray says

"Thank you for our leftovers and the power of the mighty microwave. Amen."

"Amen." Julie says as Layla chuckles before Ray starts serving the food.

"So... Carlos tells me he found you two in the studio."

"She was out there talking to herself." He says referring to Julie.

"No, she wasn't. I was out there." Layla says as Ray puts pasta on her plate.

"I was rehearsing for a play." Julie says

"Hello, hello !"

Their eyes go wide as their hear their Aunt Victoria walking in.

"Oh, busted !" Carlos says as they start to clear the empty seat. Carlos takes the napkin as Julie takes the silverware and hands it to Ray. He throws it into the kitchen as Layla takes the plate and puts it on her lap.

"Yeah, we're in here." He says to Victoria

They settle down and try to act natural as Victoria walks in the back door.

"Huh ! Spaghetti. Again ?" She says

"Yeah."

"That's too bad. I brought you my pasteles
and arroz con pollo." She smiles as she goes to set it in the fridge.

"Yum."

"Mm ! Thanks, tia. It smells great." Julie says

"You can have it tomorrow. I can't let you have leftovers every night. My sisters would kill me,
may they rest in peace." She says before walking over to stand behind Julie. She looks over at the empty seat. "Oh... I see things here are going better ?"

"Actually..." Ray nods, "Julie and Layla have been cleaning out mom's studio. Hopefully, we can get the house on the market and some offers soon."

"Well, I like the sound of that." Victoria says looking over to Layla. The girl smiles before looking down at her food. "Moving from here
is only gonna help you move on. You've got to rip that Band-Aid off and get the pain over with."

"Ah !" Julie yells. Everyone at the table looks over at her in concern. "That's me. Ripping off the Band-Aid. Aah ! " She says awkwardly

Everyone laughs as Julie looks over at Layla with wide eyes. Layla furrows her brows mouthing "What ?" Julie faintly nods toward the door.